Suggestions for tall 30 gallon tank

TwistNiN

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I am looking for suggestions for a 30 gallon tank, the taller variety, not the longer.  I am wanting to set up an all male African Cichlid tank, possibly as a mock marine tank.  Thought it might be fun to get some suggestions from you all.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
TwistNin,

I think probably in a 30 gallon tall, the only cichlids that would do well in there are maybe some angel fish.  The problem with tall tanks is that there is less surface area in the tank, which restricts the oxygen exchange, thereby limiting the amount of fish you can keep in them.  Angel fish are good for tall tanks because of thier tall finnage.  In a regular 30 gallon you could keep more fish than a tall 30 gallon.

However, I think that if you are reconciled to the smaller amount of fish you could keep, a tall tank would be  interesting because you could put a tall structure of rocks in there.

Maybe some others will have more suggestions for you.

Jan

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
TwistNIN,
  I agree with jan that angels would be a great fish to keep in a tall tank. If it was me I would get some of the larger paired angels that you see in the store that remind of you a couple. They sometimes breed and have babies. I don't know if you like angels of not but if you do they would be great. You might also try some of the small african cichlids from lake malawi. Hope it helps.

Ryanp13

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
havbing to agree with the other two, angels and other taller cichlids would do better in that type of tank (ie, discus, severums, uarus )...however, if you really want to go with an african cichlid community, try to build the rocks up to the top so you have fish at all levels, not just crammed into a smaller space...also,  try putting in some air stones to off set the lack of surface area...you may run into stocking problems, since africans are usually recommended to be kept in overstocked tanks to prohibit fighting, overstocking your tank doesnt take very many fish...good luck in your decision

D

discusaquarium

most dwarf african cichlids are aggressive. tetras would get eaten up in no time  ;D
joe

Oct 22, 2002
go with a real reef set-up...these seem to be like some work..but they really can be amazing! trust me i've seen some..even modest ones can look really nice too..and i think with enuff surface agitation and high volume water ciruculation, tall tank problems can be avoided  

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[quote author=discusaquarium link=board=cichlid&num=164&start=0#11 date=05/21/01 at 18:34:50]
blind people cant drive smart guy  ;D lolol ...just kidding dude

[/quote]Yes I realize that but what about the ones in the mall and in shopping centers? Already one step ahead of you here. They are all modeled off of the same lines (interchangable parts) and they have brail for the blind that can go shopping. That's what I was thinking. I got it just thought I would ask! ;) ;D :) :D 8)