Sucking catfish cold water

Jan 26, 2013
I have two questions is it normal for a golden sucking catfish about 5 cm long to have its color change to black and what is the fish name of the sucking catfish ps it is not a Cory. And I am new to this site happy new year everyone.:)

Couldn't take a photo of my fish it was too fast but it generally looks like this. image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
I wasn't able to see either of the images posted, but the 'golden sucking catfish' is likely Gyrinocheilos aymonieri.

It would not be normal for the color change. Has the tank completed the nitrogen cycle? What is the temperature kept at (you said 'cold water' in your title)? What are the other tankmates?

Jan 26, 2013
I have two questions is it normal for a golden sucking catfish about 5 cm long to have its color change to black and what is the fish name of the sucking catfish ps it is not a Cory. And I am new to this site happy new year everyone.:)

Couldn't take a photo of my fish it was too fast but it generally looks like this. View attachment 11517 View attachment 11517
I not really sure how to upload pictures sorry and I'm on my iPad

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
I think that is a golden algae eater, sold at petsmart in the same tank as the infamous chinese algae eater. If it is a golden algae eater, those are nasty little fish. Most people end up cursing the day they bought them.

Feb 27, 2009
The golden colored or normal darker colored algae eater are the same fish, just different color morphs. The golden is actually an albino trait. No different than a black or dalmation molly. Both are still mollies.

The only thing I'd put with a Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilos aymonieri), normal colored or 'golden' colored is African Cichlids.

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
Thats what I thought. I have read that they end up sticking themselves to other fish and try to feed off of them. I bought one once and immediatly returned it based on reviews. They're always a buck at the chain stores.

Jan 26, 2013
image.jpg
If you can't see this google 5 cm golden sucker fish and look at pictures
And thanks for the answers everyone though it still doesn't explain why the Chinese algae eater is changing color

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
You asked if it was normal for the fish to be changing colors. The answer is no. Stress will cause this however. Has the tank completed the nitrogen cycle and what temperature are you keeping the aquarium set at? The tetras and danios should not be causing it any stress. Quite the opposite, the tetras and danios are likely to be stressed by the golden algae eater.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
What do you mean nitrogen cycle?
The nitrogen cycle is when you have cultivated the beneficial bacteria that will turn the ammonia that is waste products of the fish to nitrite, and nitrite to nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish in small quantities. Nitrate can be tolorated by most at a higher level. You then do water changes to keep the nitrate under control.

This may help: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...eshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.html

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
i think my sunfish would like them if they are that mean lol. most my problem fish get fed to him if they were not expensive. that and the dead fish i occationally get like my guppies