Suckerfish Advice ?

Mar 20, 2010
I have two fantail goldfish-- they're babies still, about three, maybe four inches long now, and I have just moved them to a new tank today. They had grown MUCH too big for the two-and-a-half gallon tank they were in. Previously, the tank needed to be cleaned about every four or five days, because of how clogged the smaller filter was getting, and how much waste was in the water. Algae would start to grow on the filter as well.

They are now in a ten gallon tank with a bigger, better filter, and everything seems to be going well so far. My fish are very healthy, and don't seem to have any problems, but it is a hassle for me to clean the tank so often, and I don't want them to have to be in such dirty water. I am wondering if maybe a suckerfish would be a good choice to keep the new tank clean ? I'm curious as to how much care a suckerfish would require, if any, and if it would be a good choice to buy one in this situation.

Any advice or information you could give me would be much appreciated c:

xoxo
Tessmarie

Last edited:

anshuman

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2009
Mumbai India
if tank gets too clean with nothing to eat for algae that sucker is going to sneak on those goldfish and try to eat the slime. that too at night so you will never see that happening and goldies will die.

Try to get a huge filter and keep lights on less time, it will get clean, and 20gallon for first goldfish and then 5 or 10 gallon for next goldfish is recommended. so your tank will keep getting dirty as they grow.

Goldfish are pond fish sadly :(.

Mar 20, 2010
Oh, goodness, that would be awful ! I'm glad I asked around before I just went out and got one of the little guys D:

I know that goldfish require more water than other fish because of how much waste they produce, but budget is a factour in this as well-- my parents aren't too thrilled with the idea of spending a bazillion dollars on two dollar goldfish . I'd love to keep them outside in a pond, but around here, that wouldn't work so well-- we get almost two feet of snow in winter and we wouldn't have anywhere else to hold the fish until it got warmer .

Thankyou for your comments c:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
check craigslist in your area for some free aquariums. I'm sure you will eventually come across a big one for free.

Fantails will not survive frozen over ponds. they are a bit more delicate and will not like theirwater below 60F

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
This is thread is aging but I just wanted to add that adding a suckerfish would only increase problems.

A) It would add to the waste in the tank
B) Most of those suckerfish grow reallllly big and require more space than your goldies.
C)Most of the algae eating fish are warm water fish. Goldfish are cold water. So having them coexist would be difficult or impossible.
There are some species that are coldwater but they can be more difficult to find and eventually are aggressive towards other fish. They are not for the community tank.