Substrate Recommendation

Aug 13, 2011
www.betrsoutlets.com
Is it necessary to use a sand substrate for the bottom of my tank or can I continue with the standard gravel that has been in my tank for the past 2 years? How vital is it that Cichlids have a sandy bottom? Thanks.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I like to use crushed coral for my cichlid tanks to keep the pH up and cover it with gravel or sand to prevent catfish from being injured on the sharp coral. If you are not going to keep catfish then the crushed coral is fine. My cichlids have never missed a sandy bottom. I tried sand for a while but they are such strong swimmers that they kick up the sand into the water column and this wears out your filters faster (the impellers). I would go with gravel if you want the longest service out of your equipment. On the other hand the sand made my tank look great! You can also just use regular type gravel as well. I use the crushed coral to boost my pH because our water source here has just above a 6pH.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
What kind of cichlids are you looking at? Some of them needs sand to dig around in, but a lot do just as well with gravel.