Stupid air pump question

Kallen

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
Kettering, OH
I have a Top Fin Air4000 air pump with dual ports. If I cover or block one of the ports, I notice no noticeable difference in output. This leads me to believe it is dual diaphragm, but I have not been able to verify this searching online.

What I want to know, if I were to take a T or Y connector, connected to both ports, and run my air hose on this (meaning my air hose is receiving the full output of both ports combined) would I get more output in my tank? Or am I looking at this the wrong way? Thanks!

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If it is dual diaphragm your logic sounds right - keep in mind that you will probably loose a little bit of pressure from the air flow going through the T connector. But I'm not really sure; I've never done that. It's easy enough to try, and if it doesn't work you're no worse off than now...

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have had several air pumps apart and those with dual outlets have had dual diphragms, I have not had your pump apart. Blocking a port at the pump will lead to damage if it is a dual diphragm type.

I have run two air lines into one from such pumps many times. My current setup is such. A Y should work just fine.

Kallen

Small Fish
Sep 26, 2009
Kettering, OH
Hello; I have had several air pumps apart and those with dual outlets have had dual diphragms, I have not had your pump apart. Blocking a port at the pump will lead to damage if it is a dual diphragm type.

I have run two air lines into one from such pumps many times. My current setup is such. A Y should work just fine.
Thanks for the info. I bought this pump a few months ago, and I did in fact block off one side of it. I wasn't familiar with this model and the STORE MANAGER said he was and that I could do that to get more airflow. A couple days ago the pump just stopped working.... So I returned it for a new one. Which led me to post this thread because I cold not find ANYTHING online about this pump.

So I went to get a Y connector, and found that 8' of new line was actually cheaper. So I drained off some water into my change bucket and ran the second line. I had to dial down the pump because it was too much air! Nice problem to have... :)

Interestingly enough, this pump is much quieter than the first. I determined that its because the second port is not blocked. (To see, I blocked the second port and its much louder than with it is with second line)...