Stress Zyme Question

Oct 22, 2002
Hay Folks what do you think about this product?  Some use it to speeed up a cycle of a tank, while other use it to maintain a strong bacteria presence in their tank.  Just curious on your thoughts....Thanx

James S

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
My opinion is if you provide enough places for bacteria to live, it is not needed. Bacteria is everywhere. People need to find a place for bacteria to never be disturbed(bio-wheel, media in the filter such as bio-max, ect.)

Then when you clean your filter floss, you dont have to worry about rinsing it tank water, changing one at a time ect.

For cycling? Well If you seed it right, you shouldn't need it really. But if people want to believe in it, that is fine. I just don't need the expense of another liquid, when it works for me without it.
8)

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I agree with MRB, Stresszyme and Cycle, etc. have never been laboratory proven to work - also, however I cannot back this up, I heard somewhere that the bacteria that metabolizes ammonia is actually nitrospira, not nitrosomonas, which is what cycle/stresszyme contains.

my opinion. :)

Oct 22, 2002
WEll I asked the question and didn't really give my opionion.  I am for a natural cycle of a tank.  I have never used anything but established filters to cycle new tanks with new filters.  But I just moved and somehow my 55G tank is going threw a mini re-cycle.  I had never looked at the label of stress cycle until the other day when I was strolling threw the store and picked up a bottle.  I firgured that adding good bacteria to the tank would help speed up the process.  The bottle also states that adding it once a month would also be very good for your fish, but I firgured their going to put anything on  the label to sell their product.

James ss

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
I don't know much about these kinds of products as I don't use them. I would say that my opinon is go all natural. As few chemicals as possible in the aquarium as possible is the best way. Just my opinion though. I wouldn't suggest using it. :D

Oct 22, 2002
i use when I do major filter maintenance (taking them apart to clean impellers etc)...I try and keep filter media somewhat intact..but i almost always wring out "floss" (even though it's in a bucket of tankwater) and i feel stresszyme "somewhat" helps
re-establish bacteria(even though I have bio-stars in my filters)..i've never had any negative effects with this product..good luck tho'