Stock Question

I'm normally not a fan of stocking questions, but I figured I would get some opinions to supplement my research.
I want to set up a tank for my daughter, and she seems to be gravitating towards cichlids. This is cool because I've always wanted to do a cichlid tank. I can talk community/planted tanks all day, but cichlids are foreign to me.

I have a 50gal that she can use for this tank.

So far the fish she likes are Yellow Labs, Red Zebras (I like the different colors that the zebras are available in), an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, and a Blue Peacock.
I know enough to know that I can't mix all these together...

I would love to hear thoughts, as well as suggestions on what else to consider.

Thanks!
Jonathan

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Your are correct, Africans cannot be mixed with SA cichlids. I would use this site to give you tons of info as you can select the fish(s) you want, if you have the true scientific name that helps to. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...2d2XCw&usg=AFQjCNGnAQG2QUQCBTObMlMQRBfvDAL2IA . This site will give you pretty solid advice about the fish you have selected and if they can be mixed. Also note that Africans need plenty, PLENTY of hiding spots and do best if over stocked at about 25%ish so a big filter and weekly water changes are usually a must. I have a tank full of Jacks and a tank full of Africans, both are great tanks but the African tank is my favorite.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Sounds like you are leaning towards african cichlids, hey? Do one or the other- don't mix SA and africans together. Another idea is a community with an angelfish as the centerpiece. Like KcMopar says, AqAdvisor.com is great. Have fun stocking :D