Step By Step 10g Plant Setup (56K warning!)

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I chose Onyx sand to try something new. I use regular Seachem Flourite in my other tanks with great success, so I was confident the Onxy would work well. The black substrate allows the plants to stand out a bit better as far as color is concerned. Also, the sand is very soft to the touch and could allow more surface area contact with the roots of plants, allowing better nutrient absorbtion; however, this is just my theory.

Seachem claims that there could be a buffering effect on the water as a result of using Onyx sand, but that was the least of my worries. My water would be great for African cichlids. I have few problems growing plants.

I'm still trying to find the time to find/get a decent digital camera to get some pics up.

The tank is now inhabited by:

6 (1") Dwarf Neon Rainbows - they are being grown out
3 (1") Clown Loaches - they are also being grown out

Plant list:
Rotalla Indica
Spiral Val
Hygro. Polysperma (green hygro)
Micranthemum Micranthemoides
Hygro. Difformis
Glossostigma Elatinoides
Tiger Lotus (it's very, very small)
E. tenellus (just a little)
L. Repens (2 stems)
And a wee bit of algae as a result of negligence ;)

TaffyFish

Superstar Fish
Jan 30, 2003
Visit site
I believe pearling occurs when bubbles of oxygen form on the leaves of plants where photosynthesis is occuring super-efficiently.

I have to say that I was inspird by this thread to try a 10 gal planted set up myself. Nothing as adventurous mind, simply black sand and laterite as a substrate with hygrophila polysperma and a couple of crytpo wendtii stuck in it and a bogwood log with anubias nana and java fern. I added a dozen WCM minnows from a coldwater tank and a few corys to keep the bottom clean, a few weeks later I added a small red-tailed black shark. There's an internal sponge filter, little water movement and one of those Hagen CO2 devices.
The plants are growing very well, I have to trim back the polysperma every 10-14 days, and the shark keeps the plants clear of algae. I change about 2 gallons per week and add Tetra Easy Balance which seems to help keep phosphates locked up and nitrates down to a max of 8ppm.
Ammonia and nitrites are 0, pH 7.0 (7.2 out of the tap), GH 10 and KH 4.

styxx1

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies!

Avalon, we must be kindred spirits!

I just switched out my substrate too. I was thoroughly discouraged however yesterday pm because the water was SO CLOUDY. But finally today itz kewl...and my plants are pearling!! Do you think I still need CO2? I've got the Flourite and the wattage (2.8)...also I wonder what wattage do you have for your setup? Any recommendations as to small, peaceful "Schooling" fish that I can add?

Ph 7.0
Chrorine, chromamine 0
Ammonium, Nitrites and Nitrates 0

Whisper Powerfilter
100W Penn Plex submserible Heater
10G Glass tank
All-Glass Aquarium 20" Versa-Top Hinged Glass Top
Coralife Aqualight Lightstrip 28W 6,700K CFL
Seachem Flourite Substrate w/ top layer gravel

Varigated Acorus
Vallisneria
Amazon Sword
Mondo Grass
Lutea
Radican Sword

There are a few more, but can't remember. :confused:

1 Pleco
5 Platties

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
c_paan: It could be possible to grow plants with oscars. It is best to have small oscars (less than 3"), and to use strong plants like Amazon swords, Jungle Val (americana), and Anubias species. They will need time to grow in, but once they do, they should survive your oscars.

Flourite Onxy is not necessary to grow plants. I used it in this tank to try something different, and to show you guys what it is like (since there were and are many questions about it). It's very similar to regular Flourite, only all black, and fine grained.

Styxx1: Good to hear your tank cleared up and is doing well! From my observations on a variety of tanks and their parameters involving light, CO2, and nutrients, I must recommend CO2 more than light.

Here's what you can expect by adding CO2: much larger plant growth--I mean that your plants will get very, very large regardless of the light you have. Light only makes them grow faster. Some stem plants require higher lighting, but with the plants you have, your light is fine. Don't forget to use a good quality fertilizer such as Seachem's Flourish or Tropica's Master Grow. The Mondo Grass you have should be taken out and taken back to where you bought it; it is an emmersed plant (for terrariums), not submersed (aquariums).

I have 45 regular flourescent watts of lighting on mine. The bulbs are 1 GE Plant & Aquarium, 1 GE Chroma 50, and 1 GE daylight. I need to buy a new CF bulb for my fixture. For your fish, look for small fish (small fish for a small aquarium).

PCDawg

Small Fish
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Very nice ... and very good details on ur work!!!

SO u didnt have to cycle ur tank because you used the old water from ur old tank?? Or did u use the old filter media and filter system from the old tank??

Thanks

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Thank you for your compliments!

I didn't "technically" cycle the tank. Why? Because live plants absorb ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates--the sources of problems in tank cycling. The plants I added were from my own stock, so that means they did not have to suffer shipping & handling, or the consequences that result from it. They took hold right away, and that allowed me to add fish sooner than normal.

Since I've discontinued CO2, algae has been a mild problem, but then again, my maintainance hasn't been up to par either. I expected to tear the tank down. I've been looking for a new job since I've graduated college, but the market is not very accepting in my neck of the woods at the moment, so I'm looking to focus more attention towards this tank.

I never did use any of the old water or the gravel that was in the bucket. I did keep it handy for contingency reasons, but I never had to go that route *whew!*

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I ordered the Blyxa online. It was in horrible condition when I got it. I removed it from this tank because it wasn't doing well, probably due to lighting and no CO2. In my other tank, it began to grow in, very, very slowly, and then I had my accident (everything died) so I never got to grow it to it's full potential.

It's very difficult to get it growing, but I hear once it does it grows pretty well. It is a demanding plant, requiring high light and CO2. I would suggest getting the best clippings you can to start off with. This should help it to establish faster.