Step By Step 10g Plant Setup (56K warning!)

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
I thought I would post a step-by-step planted tank setup. I will take you through it all, every detail, with pics; well, with my crappy digi cam permitting. Please excuse the sub-par pic quality.

It's really easy to do, and I recommend starting out with a small tank because if you're a rookie, you don't want to get discouraged if things aren't working out. Not only is it cheaper, it's not near as much work as say a 75g. This way you can get a handle on things (and keep it) if things get hairy.

Let's get started!

Here's the goods! I'm breaking down a simple fish only tank. Notice the plain gravel that's about to get replaced with 1 bag of Flourite Onyx sand.

Clean clean! The bucket on the right is old tank water. Old, new, it doesn't matter.

Alrighty! See that bucket with the old gravel and mulm in there? I'm hanging on to it for a couple of days. Why? There's good bacteria in there! You can use it to "seed" the new tank if you feel you need to do so. If you have mail-order plants, they will look like poo and will not properly absorb ammonia from the fish until they grow in. What if you need to put your fish right back in (as I will be doing)? Heaven forbid we upset the fish gods and not properly cycle the tank first. Bacteria in a bucket: your solution!

Hey! Ain't you gonna rinse that first? NO! Why wash all the good stuff away? It's gonna cloud the water regardless, trust me.

Up close pic of the Flourite Onyx sand:

Time to add some water! Make sure you use dechlorinated water. This is what your tank will look like when it's time to plant your plants. The blue hue is the 32 watt power compact 50/50 bulb: 50% 10K, 50% actinic (18K). Eventually, I will change this to 6700K.

My plant pics did not turn out. I apologize. Nevertheless, this is where you plant the plants. I will fill you in on what I'm going to be using in a couple of days. This tank will use glosso for the lawn. Why? A ten gallon is not very tall. You don't want 6" of E. Tennelus covering up 40% of the space. You want to concentrate on making the tank look and feel like it has more space than it really does, or you could plant a jungle if you are so inclined! I will choose the former.

Here's the tank when filled (mostly) and planted. Where's the plants? I promise they are in there! Gimme a couple of days! See that white-ish thing at the bottom of the tank? That's filter floss wrapped around the intake of my filter tube! I don't think I need to explain why...

So, there we have it for day 1. It took me about an hour and a half to do this.

Equipment:
10g tank
Regent 20-40 power filter
No heater. The ambient temp in my room stays plenty warm.
Custom Sea-Life PC retrofit kit, 32 watts. I'm not sure what I'll do for lighting yet, but the actinic has got to go.

Plants:
My own stock. I'm getting in some more Thursday or Friday, including the Glosso, along with Didiplis diandra & Rotalla wallichii.

Future plans:
Clear the water.
Add pressurized CO2; no ferts!
Get new plants & rearrange layout.
Possibly fish. We'll see. I have no idea what I'm going to use, except for 2 Yo-Yo loaches, otocinclus, and Amano shrimp.

Stay tuned for the next episode, hopefully on Friday (since I don't have a Valentine ((yet)) ) :D

Questions? Ask away!

Last edited:

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Alrighty, time for a quick update! 21 hours later (or so)
EDIT: New lighting & pics! I'm now using a dual 15 watt regular florescent w/ one GE Plant & Aquarium bulb and one GE Chroma 50 (sunshine). My plants are pearling now!

Geko: The Flourite Onxy is really nice. It's soft and fine, not quite as fine as sandbox gravel, but fine nonetheless. I think rooted plants will really enjoy this stuff. I would only use it by itself. If you had say, an odd sized tank where one bag is not enough and 2 bags is too much, then you may want to mix it. In this 10g, one bag fits perfectly.

When I woke up this morning, the water was fairly clear. I went and leveled the sand out some more and kicked a bunch of dirt back up. It's not too bad now as you can see!

The right side: I will be changing this up a bit, but this will be the basic layout. I have even more plants coming in on Friday!

Also, I have added CO2 (that's the hose running into the intake of the filter). I'm trying to adjust it and get it set right. I have two tanks running off 1-15lb cylinder.

Future plans:
I will be filling it in on the left side and in the back center. I will add some Riccia covered rocks, but that will be after I grow some out. Glosso will fill the mid-center, and I will have more stem plants on the left side behind the chain swords. That's spiral val in the very back, and I want it to cover the back right glass of the tank. The rotalla and didiplis will contrast nicely against it.

Water parameters:
pH: 7.2 (still adjusting...I'll shoot for 6.8-7.0)
Ammonia: .5ppm
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: did not check--it's not important right now

Last edited:

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Feb. 14:
Glosso & Didiplis came in.

Water params:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: Doesn't matter, probably 0 too.
pH: 6.6

Had a party and couldn' t get any pics. Sorry *celebrate

Feb. 16:

Added 4 mollies, 1 male, 3 females. They seem very happy!

I raised the pH some by cutting back on the CO2.

I should have some pics tomorrow, Tuesday at the latest.
More plants coming this week.

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Update...finally!

The plants are beginning to grow in some!

New additions (from Florida Driftwood.com-I'm not so sure about their plants :( ):
Blyxa Japonica (looks like crap at the moment-I hope they live!)
Baby Tears (micranthermum umbrosum)

I also have a couple suprises!

I don't have pics at the moment. My ISP is having some issues and I can't acess my webspace; bear with them. I hope to get some posted over the weekend!

geKo

Large Fish
Jan 28, 2003
Louisville ky
Originally posted by Slacker
Is regular gravel ok for live plants?
Depends on what type of plants your planting on having. Some plants req that you use a richer gravel such as flourite and some plants can thrive with reg gravel.

If your planing on making a heaily planted tank i would go with flourite because chances are some time in the future you will want some plants that req better gravel!

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Well, the tank is still in operation. I have removed the CO2, and rarely add nutrients. It doesn't look horrible, but it doesn't look as I desired. After a major incident with my 29g planted tank, my enthusiasm took a hit, and I've been concentrating my efforts with my cichlid tank.

However, I will post some pics and more details as to what's been going on as soon as I can find my digi-cam's software :D I need to take some pics of my other tank and post them in the pics section as well.

I think some of you will be pleasantly suprised and pleased as to what you can grow at a very minimal cost in a ten gallon. Dispelling the rumors that you can't grow glosso without CO2 is one of them.