Starting a JBJ 12Gal

jjqs11

Small Fish
Nov 19, 2009
What do you want to keep? It will take a lot of care to keep such a small tank stable, so be careful not to overstock.
Not much bro.

Most likely 2 clownfish, because I wanna have one of the big softies for them to sit in ^_^.

A cleaner shrimp, and some snails and ect, maybe 1 more SMALL fish after that.

From what Ive seen on youtube and around, thats what can fit into it.
2 clowns, 1 small fish, a cleaner shrimp, and ur average critters. ;)
Let me know if Im right.

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Would definately not do more than 2 fish plust your clean up crew which would consist of maybe a half dozen or so snails. Even 2 fish is pushing the limits in a tank that small. You will need to do weekly water changes of 3 to 4 gallons a week and stay on them religously. Get about 15 lbs of sand substrate, like Aragonite. Don't get live sand, its a waste of money because the substrate will become live on its own. Get 12 to 15 lbs of good live rock. I wouldn't even consider putting an anemone in a tank that size. Clowns don't need to host anything to survive. I have had my clowns for 2 years and they have never hosted anything at all. After your tank gets established for a while you can start adding some corals if you decide you want to put them in.

But remember, water changes are the key to successfully keeping a tank that size. And invest in a nano protein skimmer once your tank is up and running. It will help things stay clean.