STABLE TEMPERATURE?

Salemn

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I was wondering how to keep a proper temperature in my fish tank. I own a ten gallon tank and have a 50 watt heater and i can't figure how to keep the temp at a 76 degrees level it always climbs or drops. And i'm sure the fish in my tank don't appreciatte this stress.

Help

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
hi salemn,

that's an adequate amount of watts for a 10gallon. the problem i would suspect would be the heater. what kind of heater is it? i would buy the best heater out there since the water temperature is very important.

another culprit could be the thermometer itself. thermometers are not very accurate at all. i once put two of the same type of thermomter into my tank and they both gave me different readings. go figure.

oh yeah...what is the fluctuating level? is it a few degrees? and when does this happen? your lights can also increase the water temperature thus raising it during the day and when it's off, the temperature will go down.

if your fish seem fine, then all should be okay. if not, it could be one of those problems or others.

good luck!

Lilpoot

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I have the same problem in my 20 gallon.  I use an Ebo Jager, so I know the heater isn't my problem.  

Your problem might be the heater, but there is a much more logical answer for this one.  To get technical, the surface area to volume ratio is really high in a ten gallon.  This allows for more heat from the water to escape quickly.  Heat rises, so what is happening is the large surface area is allowing the heat to ecsape the water more rapidly.  

Because there is generally more depth to the water than surface area, the larger the tank, the easier it is to keep the temp stable.    

If you have fish that aren't too picky about alot of light in the tank keep the lights on longer during the day.  This will aid in heating the water somewhat.  Also keep your heater set around 78-79 degrees.  This will warm the water up a little, but the temp will stay in the range longer. Just in case, try not to place the tank near a drafty place in the house.

Hope this helps a little.

Bombay

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Salemn:
I would also look at the positioning of the heater, the positioning of the aquarium, and the hood/cover/light kit.  The heater should be placed next to or in the vicinity of the filter water flow or other circulation...like an airstone.  If the aquarium is next to an outside wall, heater, airconditioner, etc...this could affect the temperature stability.  A good fitting hood helps alot too...not just with temperature stability, but with drafts, evaporation, etc.  You may also consider getting two smaller heaters to do the job...to even the heat by placing one on each side of the tank.  Then again, it could be the size of the tank.  Generally speaking, the smaller the tank, the less stable the environment.

Take a look at all the suggestions posted...and I am sure you will solve the riddle.