Spraybar with Submerged Powerhead

Feb 27, 2009
Anyone ever created a 'rain storm' for an aquarium to help induce spawn behavior? I have sponge filters that are run by submerged powerheads. I thought of using some thin PVC piping, but perhaps it would work with a commercially made spraybar.

Anyone with experience in doing this?

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
Well, you could get an airstone that stretches about the length of your aquarium, install a good air pump, and turn it on. The bubbles made by the airstone pop at the top, making little water droplets. However, none of my fish have spawned. :|

Feb 27, 2009
Well, you could get an airstone that stretches about the length of your aquarium, install a good air pump, and turn it on. The bubbles made by the airstone pop at the top, making little water droplets.
Thanks for the idea, FlamTetra333, but I keep planted aquariums, so this wouldn't work. This would off-gas my dissolved CO2 and plant growth would suffer and algae would take over.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Not tried it,but here is what I want to know : what is it about rain that causes spawning to start? I always assumed it was the change in temp from the new water, but you think it might be just the beating of the rain on the surface?

To simulate the rain drops should be easy with PVC. Maybe drill irregular holes to have different sizes. I think the PVC would be cheaper than a commercial spray bar.

Feb 27, 2009
I have a PVC pipe with small holes drilled in that I used for water changes. Takes 15 mins to take the water OUT, but 2+ hours to put it all back! LOL

The spraybar was only $5 at a chain store, so we'll see the next time it rains.

What a friend of mine does in South America is when it storms outside, she removes 50% of the tank's water, she puts the spray bar she made on to 'rain' the water on the tank, keeps the lights off, and turns the heater off in the tank for the duration of the storm. The next morning, she will add the water back in, using cooler water.

She used to do JUST the 50% water change with cooler water, but finds more spawning activity with the spraybar plus the water change.

We'll see!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
I tracked it for two years when I had my otos spawn (that's what I'm trying to breed). They were always frisky when the barametric pressure dropped. Every time they layed eggs, it was during a storm. The one time the eggs hatched, I was so upset when none of the fry lived beyond 5 days :(

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I had a Jebo aquarium that ran on a setup with a powerhead and a spraybar. I assume the biggest challenge would be the pressure/powerhead power so you get a nice rain-like trickle.

Some brands of filter have spraybar attachments you can buy. I think the Marnineland canisters do (at least the old types did). That may be an option if you have spare filters laying around.

Interesting about the otos and the barometric pressure.