Sponge Filter?

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Can I take my existing filter and wrap a sponge around the end with the vertical rectangular holes? Would that work okay? Also, don't manufactured sponges have bad chemicals in them? I heard the LFS has replacement sponges, so I might get one of those. I might upgrade my tank to a 12 gallon betta fish sorority and I'd like a DIY sponge filter.

Feb 27, 2009
Can I take my existing filter and wrap a sponge around the end with the vertical rectangular holes? Would that work okay?
If you are talking about the intake tube of a HOB filter, yes, you can put a sponge over it (a prefilter).

Also, don't manufactured sponges have bad chemicals in them?
A sponge meant for cleaning may have soap or other chemicals in it, and of course should NEVER be used in an aquarium.

I heard the LFS has replacement sponges, so I might get one of those. I might upgrade my tank to a 12 gallon betta fish sorority and I'd like a DIY sponge filter.
You can buy sponge filters at some LFS, or can make your own. My LFS did not sell sponge filters so I ordered one online long ago. Once I saw what was needed, I've made more for other tanks with stuff bought at a home-improvement store far cheaper.

Good luck!