something wrong w/ my water

TheRed

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I started my tank about a week ago and have added a few fish to it in the last few days.  Today I noticed that some of the fish have developed white specs on their fins and bodies.  There also seems to be little white flakes floating in the water. Is there something wrong with my water or are my fish sick? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
It sounds like your fish have ick! Not a big deal though because there is treatment for this. I think this is a parasite infection(or so someone told me). You should go to your local pet store or wherever you purchased the fish and ask them if they'll show you some treatment. By the way what size tank do you have and what fish do you have? Hope this helps and you probably need to get this treatment quickly if you want them to live.

ryanp13 ;)

TheRed

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
thanks for the advice. I only have a 10 gal. tank with 3 X-ray tetras, 3 sunset gouramis, 2 neon blue gouramis, a fan tail goldfish and an albino catfish.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
That's not a very large tank so you won't need a lot of medicine and you probably won't need to spend a lot. When you add the medicine you may want to remove any ornaments because it may stain them. I love your fish! Neons are beautiful and so are the sunset gouramies and x-ray tetras. do you have a heater? Because you need one with these fish. Anyway hope this helps.

ryanp13 ;)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
One way to help get rid of ick is to increase the temperature of the tank to about 80 degrees f. and then add the medication.

ryanp13 ;)