Something growing in tank!!

Cbash

New Fish
May 2, 2013
I just set up a new tank about 3 weeks ago 29g it's doing we'll. but there is so something growing that I can't identify!

Feb 18, 2013
Looks like red algae or cyano bacteria, if the tank is 3 weeks old, has it already cycled ? was it purchased as live rock ? it's a common pest in new saltwater tanks, what are your water stats ?

It takes about 4 months to cultivate enough bacteria in your bb colonies to partially remedy this. Cyano Bacteria doesn't really attach well so you should be able to siphon most of it out, or use a long turkey baster to pick at it. Because it feeds on nitrates and dissolved CO2 you need to perform water changes to ensure you flush the components it needs to grow out until your tank is fully cycled.

You may also have the wrong bulbs, your tank looks very white, you could be feeding it the wrong wavelengths which will aid the growth. Are you running any kind of a skimmer in your setup ? that could also help isolate the problem and prevent it from showing up in your tank.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Its coralline!! Its a type of algae that is desirable in most tanks. It common in many shades of reds and purple, some are green colors to but its not real common. This growth also means your tank parameters of ALK (dkh) and calcium is good. These do drop so be sure to keep up SW changes or dose to keep the levels up.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Because it "cyano" feeds on nitrates and dissolved CO2
There are mainly three types of dissolved CO2, about 85% or more is Bicarbonate (HCO3−), aqueous carbon dioxide (CO2(aq)), and carbonate ion (CO3
2−). Another minor form is carbonic acid (H2CO3) but is less then 1% of aqueous carbon dioxide. The sum of [CO2(aq)] and [H2CO3] is what we call [CO2].

Cbash

New Fish
May 2, 2013
I have a t5 dual, 100bh 60g reef skimmer, 2 of 500gph power heads.

And I don't know If you all can see but I was actually talking about the little leafs poking out, they are about 1/2 inch long and dark green. And only on the rock with algae.