Someone help me please!!

moifackah

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
one of my platy's has like a rash looking soar on his sidee. I think he got it while flashing. its like scraped it really hard and he is acting really wierd. he wont stop moving and is staying in the current my filter is making. most of my platys also have red gills and some are flashing. I've added salt as much as they told me to. my ammonia is a about 1.5 to 2. what medication should I put in the tank. please respond quick!!!!

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Your fish are probably suffering from ammonia poisoning. You don't want to do a supper huge water change because that will only give you more ammoina spikes as well as shock your fish. But you can do a 20% change every day until your levels read zero.

I hate recommending chemicals, but you can try ammolock to bring the ammonia down to less toxic levels. Chemicals never replace good water changes, but they do help in emergency situations.

As far as the fish are concerned, no medications are necessary. Once you get your water chemistry stable the fish should return to health in a few days.
~~Colesea

Gnome

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Shadow Moses Island
Originally posted by SoulFish
did you cycle your tnak? if not get marineland bio-spira it is supposed to be like bacteria in a bottle that actually works
and don't forget seachem prime, it detoxify ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and what's your ph and tempt water? if it is too high(8ph) I recommend you to lower the tempt.72F since you have some ammonia in your tank..a high tempt w/ high ph will form those ammonia into more toxic ammonia form!
gut luk

Last edited:

mykaylis

Small Fish
Nov 13, 2002
Visit site
definitely do a 10-25% water change daily until the ammonia is down! use ammo-lock to buy yourself some time - it doesn't remove ammonia, but it converts it to a non-toxic form so it won't poison your fish while you're trying to address the problem.

also, ammonia changes to a more toxic form at a higher pH (above 7) which can exacerbate the problem.. if your pH is high at all, consider frequent water changes as a habit.