So I finally upgraded!

Jul 28, 2016
Canada
Well the 10G tank did not last long! So i upgraded to a 29G (got it for free otherwise i probably would have went bigger haha) So Currently i have 1 Dwarf Gourami 1 Pleco? I believe and two white skirt tetra's that i was lied to about schooling by the sales lady... after trying hopelessly to re-home the White Skirts (this is when i had the 10G set up) i ended up keeping them. Now im planning on adding one more White Skirt, and 3 Black skirts so they can school properly. ( though i have read that they like schools of 7-9? i believe it had said) Was thinking about adding maybe 3 Rams too. My question is would Rams be suitable with my other fish. I have tried and tried to research this as much as i could and I am finally giving up and asking.. lol If not the rams any other suggestions for 3 other fish that would work well together? Looking for something vibrant a bit larger around the Gourami's size preferably. Thanks in advance

Jul 4, 2016
What type of ram? I don't suggest getting three, two max. They'll be fine, but if they start breeding then they can get aggressive. Bigger the better on schools. Maybe 8 tetras and 8 cories(make sure temp compatible), along with two Rams and a dg.

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
i think most people always start out with the 10 gallon. i think i still have my 10 gallon in the garage somewhere. 29 is a good size to move onto.

schooling fish in quantities of 7-9 will look great in your tank.
i'd also go with playtlover's suggestion about the corycats...great addition to any tank and will add movement to the lower section of your tank. just give them some hiding places to make them happy.

Jul 28, 2016
Canada
Well I will certainly get the two German Blue rams assuming i can find them around here, I want them because of their color mostly, something bright like the DG to really pop out. Do you think a school of fancy guppies would be alright if i can not locate the rams? or even some platys? My Bristlenose pleco... I think thats what it is... Im pretty sure i was given more bad information from the same store. ( I keep going back to that same store because it honestly offers a bigger selection than anywhere else in this city so i'm just SOL on that front) I cant recall exactly what the tag said on the tank, but I know it did say it would only grow 2-3 inches... but this guys huge already... Im beginning to suspect he will only get bigger and bigger and bigger... Ah well least I have the space for him now. I know ill be getting more tetra's so maybe 4 black skirts and 2 more white skirts. My Pleco basically rules the ground floor so i would prefer not to cramp his style for the time being lol. I would like to get another snail ( Benedict the snail passed away in my 10g awhile back) but ive read some horror stories about snails and pleco's so I wont even bother trying. Thanks for the replies :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
Canada
So i went and purchased 6 black skirts to go with the two white that i already have. It was adorable, while i was acclimating them (bag style) the white ones were so curious of the new arrivals swimming back and forth and checking them out. Probably excited about some companions again. They are all getting along great and the white ones generally seem alot happier than before, which is exactly what i was going for. Honestly right now I think this is enough for the tank, I certainly do not want to over crowd them. If anything i might look into buying a female Gourami so my male has a companion as well. Happy fish over here :) haha Thank you

Jul 28, 2016
Canada
Also i decided to turn my 10g into a split betta tank, looking into the divider though as it seems that all the dividers are see-through that you can purchase in stores. So i might follow a idea i saw on youtube with Palight Project PVC and drill some holes in it and sand it out. It was pretty neat! Cant stand seeing those poor betta's at my LPS in a cup the size of a baseball. Figured id save atleast two lol :) I will obviously be bringing the water level up, not to the very top as they need space up there, but i've got to properly cycle the tank again and check all my levels before adding them regardless, so as of now its a work in progress.

Attachments

Last edited: