so far

OK, the object of this is to run several tanks through a wet dry.

the first two tanks are beach sand and the 3 rd is a chunk coral base. the idea of this filter system ( i hope) will work like this

all tanks will have their own bacteria obvioulsy which will all filter through the wet and dry. the water will then be pumped through the tanks again and the 3rd tank having the chunk coral will also act as a filter( being the predator tank).

i have played with mangroves trees but they didnt want to play the game and died, so off i go to dig up some more. i want to make a baffle in the drip compartment of the wet and dry where mangrove mud will be placed so the bacteria can feast in the first stage of filtration. then in the 2nd compartment algaes etc then the pump assy.

this is still early stages yet as i am on leave in 2 weeks and stage 1 of the tank stand will start. there will be 2 more 4 foot tanks to go underneth to complete the set up.

any ideas or short falls let me know. obviously the more imput good or bad is welcome.

Attachments

daveheard

Large Fish
May 13, 2004
Cornwall, UK
Visit site
A very elaborate filtration system Bowdy, is this going to feed all the tanks that you have???
will be interesting to see how you progresss with this,
I do think its good that a lot of your materials are obtained naturally, but do you get a risk of disease by doing this.

Hi Dave, always good to hear from ya.

yes this is going to feed all the tanks down stairs. The main tank up stairs will be left alone due to corals.

i look at the disease problem like this, all these fish have lived in the same tank one time or another. i see as a large tank with partitians in it.

The mud culture will be QT prior, this would be the only time i have done any QT. i will place mullet and bottom dwellers so if there are any lice or the like they will latch on and disposed of. all good in theory of course.

any nitrate dramas a back up tank is at the ready so that that can be shut off and the breakdown proceedure can still carry on with out interference.which i did 2 days ago.