Snail or no snail

HeathDus9

Small Fish
Oct 3, 2009
I have a freshwater tank 20 gallon right now its in it's cycling process, but later on I was thinking of getting a snail or two.. I was wondering if anyone has any info about them that could help me out, if i get snails would i still need a pleco , and how many would I need, what different types are good, i dont want to ask the associates at my local petco, they kind of.. well.. just arnt helpful. I cant really find out much on google either suprisingly, anywho, any info would be much appreciated, im new to the tank life. lol thanks!!:D

mattmctyre

Large Fish
Sep 27, 2009
i would say no snail i made thaat mistake and they breed and grow so fast 1 or two might turn in to 100. serioulsly if you have an algea problem get a pleco or two they will actually let you see the inside of your tank.

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
This site has some good info on snails Aqualand Pets Plus . Like mattmctre said be careful though. Just make sure you know what type of snail you want because some grow baseball sized, some reproduce like crazy, and some eat other snails.
As for whether or not you'll need a pleco, it depends on what you want them to do. If you want there to be no algae in your tank then yea I'd get a pleco, some corys, or an oto. If your just looking for a clean up crew then snails will do just fine.

Feb 27, 2009
If you don't overfeed, you won't have an explosion in snail populations. If you can't help but overfeed, and don't want a ton of snails, the nerite snail can't reproduce in freshwater, so can't overpopulate your tank.

HeathDus9

Small Fish
Oct 3, 2009
Cool thanks, yeah i think No snail, i dont want a thousand or a baseball sized one in my tank lol. I think a pleco is better for my setup. I just seen them at the pet store and thought they looked neat. :)

Oct 7, 2009
Just another FYI on the snails...Most snails will eat plants. So if you have any live plants you like you can say bye-bye :) I've had too many snail outbreaks. Don't care for any in my tank (40gal). Also for the plant lovers make sure when you buy them wash them before you put them in your tank. Chances are...there are snails on them.

Last edited:

nikcasper

Medium Fish
Aug 14, 2009
Is your 20 gallon by the light or a window? And what other fish do you plan on putting in the tank?

but apple snails arent bad if you get one, the need a male n female to reproduce so with one you should be safe. And i dont think the algae build up is gonna be to bad anyways so a snail would probally be better

HeathDus9

Small Fish
Oct 3, 2009
Is your 20 gallon by the light or a window? And what other fish do you plan on putting in the tank?

but apple snails arent bad if you get one, the need a male n female to reproduce so with one you should be safe. And i dont think the algae build up is gonna be to bad anyways so a snail would probally be better

No my tank isnt near a window, i just plan on making it all cichlids, i have two now after the tank cycles if these two last then were getting a few more. The other day we got a pleco because we read that it would be okay, and now its being nipped at.. if this dont work out then maybe we will try the snails.
My afr cic wont leave him alone so we might have to take him out, he seems to be letting up a lil now cause the pleco swam at him lol.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
If you buy (or bought) live plants chances are you probably have a few snails. That happened to me, (I didn't even want snails!) and now I have a small snail problem... but I must admit that they are doing a pretty good job on the algae...

Feb 27, 2009
Just another FYI on the snails...Most snails will eat plants. So if you have any live plants you like you can say bye-bye :) I've had too many snail outbreaks. Don't care for any in my tank (40gal). Also for the plant lovers make sure when you buy them wash them before you put them in your tank. Chances are...there are snails on them.
What snails will eat live plants?

jingles

Medium Fish
Jan 28, 2009
Auburn, AL
Apple, Ramshorn, Mystery (sort of), Trapdoor, etc. Snails are scavengers so if they're forced to they will eat plants. I've heard mixed reviews as to MTS eat plants or not eating plants. They never really did (that I could tell) in my tanks. Assassin snails probably won't eat plants. Not sure about nerite snails either but I've heard they don't.