small predator

Mar 20, 2008
Dwarf puffer fish my friend. They are small cute and they have wonderful personalities. It is loads of fun to watch them hunt for snails. They are a slightly sensitive fish however so you'll need to cycle your tank first. They also dont mix well with other fish, however i have had some very good luck with my ghost shrimp and ottos. The weekly water changes that they will need are well worth it.

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
What exactly are you thinking of as a 'predetory'. Most fish that eat other fish are for 55G and larger tanks.

If you want something that's a little bit aggressive (particularly at feeding time) the dwarf puffer might be a good choice or you could go for a school of black skirts - my little guys seem to think they're pirahanas any time food hits the tank.

HAAA

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2008
Inland Empire
yea i know, im cycling my 10g right now with feeder fish i also have some of my original tanks gravel and plant in their, but i was wondering if i need freshwater salt for puffers or instant ocean salt or just strait declorinated water

Last edited:

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
are you sure where i live the sign said DP
I saw "Dwarf Puffers" at a WalMart here in Houston too.... I wouldn't trust WalMart to label their fish correctly though.

They also had about 15 packed into a 10 gallon space..... all except one (obviously the dominant one) looked very skinny and beat up. They were only about $2.50 here.

Could I put 1 DP into a 5 gL with an oto? or would that be pushing it? I've still got a long time before I finally decide what to do with my 5 gallons anyway....

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
ive been doing research on dwarf puffers because i want one in my 5 gallon and yes you can put a dwarf puffer in a 5 gallon with an oto. Thats pretty much the only tank mates you know you can get and the puffer will leave it alone.