small 72L Tank

donkey

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2005
England
Hi

I have a AquaEL Brillux 60 Aquarium with some plants in and a few shrimps and fish. But i am now thinking about striping it down and starting it up as a small saltwater tank. I would like to keep some corals and inverts in it. The tank holds 72 L of water and has two 18W T8 fluorescent lights integrated into the hood. would this tank be ok to use for a small saltwater tank ?

Thanks Guys

donkey

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2005
England
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. . I am thinking about removing the 2 T8s and replacing them with 2 T5s. I was thinking about 1 Narva Blue and a 10000k as well. Do you guys think that would be ok as i only want to keep soft corals in this tank. And what kind or make of 10000k tube should i be looking to buy. Sorry but i dont know much about makes of tubes.

*thumbsups

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
You'd have to rewire the hood/fixture to use T5 bulbs. However, I think the minimum length for T5 bulbs may be too long for your tank. I think 24 inches is the shortest T5 bulb. You could also look into compact fluorescent lighting retrofits, because I think you may have problems finding a small enough retrofit kit in a T5.

A 10,000K and an actinic (blue) would work.

donkey

Small Fish
Feb 4, 2005
England
Hi

I am going to rewire it to take 2 T5s and i can get tubes at 22inches long so i should be ok there. But what do you think is a good brand tube to look for at 10000k. Or are they more or less the same

Thanks
*thumbsups

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Brand is less important than making sure you have good reflectors and enough light overall. I'm not sure if two bulbs will be enough.

Most of the brands are fine, I think I have Geissman on my tank. You might consider getting 50/50 bulbs or one daylight (10,000 K) and one actinic.

This article may help you understand better: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-12/newbie/index.php