Single parrot fish layed eggs!!

dana307

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
Massachusetts
Wow. I don't know. Didn't think they breed in captivity. Can she lay unfertilized eggs? I will sub to this post as I am very curious although I have no good advice. sry.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Cichlids will lay unfertilized eggs and the male will fertilize them

With this situation, the eggs will just go away or be eaten after a while because there is no fertilization.

We are talking about a Parrot Cichlid correct? If so everything ^ here goes. :D

I do not know if males are sterile or not.....if the female layed eggs i'd say the male is capable of fertilizing them.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
there have been a few reports of parrots breeding all of which have not been verifiyed.parrots can still lay eggs they are just sterile.nor can the male fertilize the eggs either.i have heard of three cases where "supposedly" two parrots did lay eggs and a few fry hatched but these are more like urban legends that truth sens there are no photos of fry or documentaion.

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
yeah, I have heard about this too. When I had a parrot cichlid I did some research on them and found a post stating 2 parrots had a batch of fry. I never heard anything else after that.

My angels would lay unfertilazed eggs all the time. It was good for me because I got to know what gender they were...go figure.