Simulating Moonlight with LEDs?

Geo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
geo-san.dyndns.org
I just thought up this idea a little while ago, and have been researching it somewhat, so I think I am going to go ahead and do it - but let me explain the idea first:

While playing around with those little keychain lights one day, I decided to use one to view into my aquarium at night. It worked out nicely, and didn't seem to upset the fishies much, so I moved it around. The little light ended up over the top of the tank, and I realized it gave a sort of spot-light effect that simlated moonlight coming in over a tree. I began to think, wondering if I could construct a permenant setup that I could turn on at night and create a serene moonlight setup with a single blue LED light.

Well, that's my idea, it shouldn't be that hard to do - I am just wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this before, or if anyone has experience with LED lights - could ya shoot me some advice? :D

I'll make sure to post up my step-by step construction and everything in case people are looking to do the same thing!

Hopefully this will work :cool:

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
actually, i was going to make my own moonlight. all you need is one of those waterproof sockets and a black party bulb that you can find at OSH or HomeDepot. Put it on a dimmer and you can adjust how bright you want it!

Geo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
geo-san.dyndns.org
Johnny - the thing is, I have a small aquarium (6 gallon eclipse) so a party light would be too big I think.

Azn - thanks for the linK! I'm checking it out right now!

:cool:

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
They do have LED lazer light display kits for aquariums with all different color of bulbs. Personally not my favorite, especially the lighthouse one, that just is tacky.

Ever play with your fish with a lazer keychain? The fish go spastic and chase the little red dot all over the aquarium. It is sooo funny. Don't know why they do it. It seems to be the thing with all animals, show them a little red light-dot and they can chase it around indefinately.

~~Colesea