Silverback gorilla Vs. Human

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Just curious as to what people think... I know they typically have about 4 times the strength of a strong man, but I wonder if you took a world class heavy weight fighter what kind of chance he would have.

Think he would last a round? Technique and intelligence, against broot strength and primal instinct... (I of course would go with the Silverback, but I wonder how long the human could last)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Haha! I always have thoughts and questions like this pop into my mind...drive the wife crazy with them too.

As for your question...
I remember reading something a while back, if I recall correctly, which stated that gorillas were so much stronger than humans that a silverback---in theory (i.e. if it could be compared with a human in this manner)---could deadlift about 800 lbs. of weight with one arm.

Now maybe I've gotten things mixed up a bit...maybe it was with both arms. But seriously, do you think the average human could deadlift 800 lbs. using both arms...not a chance.

I don't think that the most superb fighting technique in the world could even come close to making a human victorious over a silverback.

It would be interesting to witness though...I'd give the human about 15-20 seconds max. in the 'octagon.'

Big Vine

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I think you would be able to get close enough to one, they are actually quite non-agressive from what I've seen and read. Though I would have to agree with you on not being able to injure them with our hands, and even if the person had a chance to poke the eyes I still think the gorilla would be so fast in reacting it would have you in two before you had a chance to get out of its reach... that's if you were even fast enough to get to his eyes!

After posting this question I googled it and it was funny to see how many others have thought this question before.

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
hand to hand combat with a silverback?
come on get real.
#1 monkeys bite and have teeth well equiped to do so.
#2 strength and weight advantage(duh)
#3 even if a martial arts expert got some good shots on one all thats going to do is piss it off and get it's adrenilin going and go into a rage and it would be a miricle if you could bring it down with a 12 gauge before it ripped you to pieces and beat you with your own limbs.

angelmom

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2005
Vernon, CT
Nov 17, 2006
Hazleton,Pa
Big vine u are right apes can lift 800 pounds over there head with on arm. It would rip the humans arms off and beat him to death then probably bite and eat some of him. If gorrials get the chance to eat meat they eat it. Unless it was chuck norris the gorillas would be extinct with one jaw smashing kick to the face.