Sick Clownfish?

awpong

Small Fish
Mar 24, 2010
I have a 10 gallon fowlr with roughly 8lbs of live rock and 12lbs of live sand.

2 False Perclua Clowns
2 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
2 Snails (A-something)
1 Featherduster (came free on the live rock)

The tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks now, with the introduction of the fish last Friday.

Nitrates and Nitrites are both zero, with an ammonia ranging from 0-.25 every few days (but I promptly do a 20% water change, followed up with Pro-Ammonia Detox made by Kent Marine).

The pH is a stable 8.3 with an ideal alkalinity and salinity of roughly 1.25.

Additionally, I have 2 small power heads to keep a steady current. Lighting in the tank is 2x 50/50 nano reef blubs (don't know the exact details)

But anyways... one of my two false perclua clowns I fear might be sick - with ich. The first day in the tank both clowns had a slightly high breathing rate, but it slowed down by the second; however, later that night I noticed a few white dots on the clown. They weren't too severe or dominant, but enough to make me panic a bit (which really doesn't take all that much). However, this morning, I went to feed the fish and I noticed a thin white string coming out of my smaller clown. I did a little more research and it fits the symptons with Brooklynella hostilis aka. ich aka. clownfish disease.

As for behavior, both clowns seem to be behaving normal. They're doing their little mating dance (which brings about another problem... babies in a 10gallon fowlr... but that's a problem for another day), and they are both vigorously eating.

Here is a picture of my clown with the white string coming out.

Please promptly inform me of his condition (physical diagnosis). If the white string looks like the internal parasite, what are some ideal treatments for them? I am hesitant to add medication because of the inverts - but will if I have to. One solution I read about was freshwater baths. This seems ideal to me because of the inverts in my tank, and my lack of a QT (the tank is in my college dorm - im kinda cramped for space and money). Additionally, this seems more natural because I learned in my Marine Biology class that fish in nature will swim across the halocline in nature to agitate the bacteria, and then swim back down into the salty water.