Sick Betta - Eye Fungus??

Sep 8, 2010
A few weeks ago I introduced my betta, Morton, into his new 5g tank. Just when I thought I had things under control, he got sick, and I can't figure out what he has. Last week, one of his eyes developed a white spot in the middle, the size of a pin. There also appeared to be much smaller bumps on both eyes that were only visible when they sparkled in the light. His back fin also split in half, but I thought that he simply tore it on a plant.

I started treating Morton with Betta Revive four days ago. His back fin is healing nicely, but his eyes have not improved. In fact, his other eye now has a white spot in it as well. What does he have, and what can I treat it with? Petco had only two medications, the Betta Revive and Betta Fix. Where else can I get meds if neither of these will do the trick?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
cloudy eye. caused by stress. a lot of bettas will get this when they are introduced into a new tank. most people dont notice because it either goes away real quick, or the eye clouds so insignificantly that you can barely see it unless you looked extremely close, and under the right angle from the light.

idk how to treat it, other than good fish care. you can try a bacterial medication because sometimes it can be a bacterial infection.

as long as we arent talking pop-eye here, its likely eye cloud.

Sep 8, 2010
Thank you for the advice. My fish's eyes look like they have improved. However, within the past day or so, my fish stopped eating (except for a little bit of pea). He has also been hyperactive, darting around his tank. Could all of these symptoms be related? I don't want to overreact to 'normal' fish behavior, but I am concerned that he might still have some type of bacterial infection.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
stopping to eat normal food is a huge problem. this isnt a problem if you have only had your new betta for a week or less. generally when he gets hungry, he will want to eat w/e he normally eats.
1. what are you offering him for foods?
2. could there be a problem with your water?
3. check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. pH levels, and check for any metals leeching into your tank's water. anything like metal touching water can be problematic, and copper will be most problematic of all common metals encountered in your home.
4. check that you are properly dechlorinating and changing his water. the chlorine in tap water will kill your fish if not dechlorinated.