shrimp tank

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
EX, I don't think its a matter of "gentle" - even gentle things have to eat. I read someplace that neons were there favorite food - its just that after a couple of years I had forgotten that little piece of info.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
my angel does ok with neons and my one cardinal. the fish have to be larger sized though. you can't buy 0.5" juvenile neons. best size to buy are the jumbo variety at 1.5" or more. my cardinal is on the smaller side - 1.5" but seems to be ok. had it for about 1+years along with the angel.

Just got some Lemon tetras! we will see how they do with the angel. they are much bigger than the neon/cardinal i have.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
my neons are a bit over an inch long right now and all the angels i just bought were about a dollar coin sized. the biggest one is about half dollar. and i'm talking body size, not fins.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
well I've had my fish and shrimp for 4 days now and i've already got pygmy cory cat eggs in the tank. I took about half that i saw and put them in a breeder net. hopefully i can raise a few. not looking to breed them but at least get myself a dozen or so. kinda wonder if the eggs in the tank will survive.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
wow that was fast haha
the fry will be tiny! they hatch in about 4-6 days. i have one pygmy cory right now that i raised from an egg in a brine shrimp net haha! make sure the breeder net holes are very fine, or the fry can escape!

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
how did you remove them from the tank and on what surface did you remove them from?
If from the glass, I'd imagine they are easily damaged since they are so small.

When i found pygmy cory eggs in my tank i left the ones on the glass be (they were going to be eaten anyway) and only got to save two that were attached to dried leaves. both hatched after maybe 5 days. 78F water.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I used a razor blade. they did not pop and with the slightest of touch they fell off the glass or attached to the blade and came off the glass. then i placed them on the fake plants in the breeder net. that way they were not sitting on the net itself to get sucked on by the other fish.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
that and rolling them off the glass with your finger were the recomended ways that i read to do it. it's always possible. and its possible those eggs were not viable too.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i think they are small enough to be damaged by any regular means. cories are pretty prolific i'd be surprised if they were not viable. throw in some dried leaves and see if they breed on that or vertical smooth stones. plus the leaves will be great food surfaces for the shrimp.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
got my baby tears this weekend and got them all planted. hoping they will all take off. they are the standard baby tears and not the dwarf. so high light and high nutrients with excel as the carbon source. hope they do well :) now that I got my hair grass, baby tears, and moss in the tank, I just need to figure out what other plant to do thats kinda tall but has more of a stem. it's going to be under an hob filter so it needs to hold up against the current without getting all sucked against my intake. any ideas? running around 2wpg t5ho and dirt.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I think most plants are going to go into the intake :(

and baby tears grow tall. they are no carpeting plant.
HC baby tears carpet best in high light and CO2 injection with fine substrate.

I remember keeping Hygrophila corymbosa before. if you rip off the lowest leaves, it will leave a thick stem and all the foliage should be at the top, hopefully out of the filter intake reach. any broad leaf hygrophila should have a thick enough stem.

Last edited:

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I can still carpet the baby tears. i just have to keep them trimmed short. i want them at least a couple inches deep.
As for the plants in the intake i'm talking like swords or lillies, and I don't want them to fall over like ludwigia or something like that. I do have hygro in my 55. I started it in my 20 gallon over a year ago. but it all started to die off really bad. I transfered it into my 55 once i got that tank and it took off pretty good. still grew slowly but was good. i started dosing excel into my 55 cause of black beard and the hygro started to die off again. roots that were coming out the stem died and rotted and the stems themselves started to rot and bread off. i stopped the excel and the plants dying stopped. so i don't want to do hygro in the 20 cause i am dosing excel. maybe at some point i'll do co2.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
that hygro is the best stem plant i can recommend for the intake. its stem is tough and almost wood-like. will hold up to an intake. definitely not like a soft stem plant like most hygros.

what does the tank look like now? lets see a photo.