Shrimp swimming up into the filter return!!!

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
So one of my new shrimp is trying to swim up into the filter return where the biowheel is. He actually made it once and I opened the lid and there he was, stuck to the biowheel as it went around and around...he finally got pushed off due to the current...what's up with that? I noticed the bigger one molted over the weekend...maybe the little one is trying to molt too?

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If your water parameters are fine (nothing to make the shrimp want to jump out of the tank) then maybe you just have a daredevil shrimp? :D Sorry I have no idea...

phOOey

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Nottingham, UK
normally shrimp will try to escape from water they dont like, mine used to do that, i'd find then in the filter media. check your water parameters just to make sure.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Temperature was the main one that mine didn't like...since my tank temps get over 80 naturally during the summer I dont try to keep shrimp alive in my tanks.

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
Hmm I have the temp set to around 79-80ish. The bigger one is fine...the smaller one seems to have settled down now. It was right after feeding time so maybe that had something to do with it? I'm going to do a wc today and I'll see if that changes anything. My nitrates are probably a little high for shrimp right now (around 20ish) so that could be it...

Last edited:

derajer

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2005
Ankeny, Iowa
Perhaps he was just seeking food? What kind of shrimp is it? I have a flowershrimp that lives in my filter. Everytime I take him out he climes back in. I guess flowershrimp really are "filter feeders" LOL. Sorry bad joke.

ozziegt

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2005
Yeah I am going to try to keep the nitrates around 10-15ish. It's a balance between keeping enough nitrate for the plants but not too much for the shrimp. I just did a WC today and got the nitrates down to about 10.

I think I figured out the crazy swimming behavior...I'm guessing that since shrimp can also filter feed they just go crazy swimming around after a feeding to pickup the miniscule particles of food in the tank.