Show-off Your Bettas Here!

Apr 14, 2008
UGH!! I'm soooooo freaking tempted to get another crowntail!

This was my last CT boy: [Dragon, who survived a 4 hour ride with me! but 4 hours to go to that damn town, where I found him. so, I'm lucky I didn't die of boredom in the 8 hour round-trip!] *My laptop died 1/2 way there!*

And my best pic of a Veiltail, who was named Flame and died in my 29 after 3 weeks of not eating:

Last edited:

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Gorgeous fish everyone! Newman-thanks for starting and encouraging this thread. It should have a warning posted on it:

"WARNING- posters will not be responsible for uncontrollable betta purchasing sprees. View with caution."

OK, here goes for me.

I will begin with two that I have sadly lost. They are brother and sister over half moons that I had shipped from a breeder in Thailand. The female died for reasons unknown and I recently lost the male because he got caught in a new filter.

Attachments

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
dont know if those are salamander colorations, but they sure look awsome!
How long did you imported bettas live with you becky? I'm sort of fearing for the fate of my imports, due to all this talk of dying bettas here...i think imports would be more sensitive than regular bettas we see here in LFS...i could be wrong.

and lol about the warning. i would like to put that if i only new how ;)

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
This is Mango, a cellophane veiltail male. I bought him because he was so active and flirtatious in the store. He is even more so now that he has more than 8oz or water to play in. He is a charmer.

Attachments

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
The female died after about 6 mos. The male I had nearly a year. I don't know that they were necessarily weaker. I figure if they lived through their shipment, they couldn't be too sensitive. Its quite a trek. They were gray when they arrived. Freaked me out. I couldn't believe how fast they colored up.

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
These guys are giants. Get them at Petco. Didn't we decide Petco bettas are smaller and likely younger? Got my teeny little female there too. So, I assume these guys are not done growing. They are about 2" long (without the tail). The blue is getting bigger because he's a hog. The black is the pickiest eater! He plays with all his food, spits out everything, chases it after he spits it out and generally takes about forever to actually eat anything. I have a young female black moscow guppy with him that I am keeping virgin for future breeding, she is growing like gangbusters from all the goodies I give to them to get him to eat:)

Attachments

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
This is Amelia. I didn't mean to buy her. I was heading for checkout with the black giant and some other stuff when a kid literally ran around the corner with her little cup sideways, sloshing water out that little hole on top, hollering "Mom, there's a fish in here!" As he screeched to a halt to keep from plowing into me, I glared at him, snatched the cup away and snapped "That's a live animal in there. You can't treat them like that. You'll scare it to death. How would you like it if a giant grabbed your house, and shook it all up, screaming at you?" or something like that. The little brat's jaw dropped right open. I plopped her on top of my pile of goodies and hightailed it out of there before some redneck bubba came and kicked my butt.

And then I had to figure out where to put her. For lack of any other suitable quarters for a fish surviving such a traumatic event, she went into the livebearer palace, where she busily chases fry all day long. She is apparently better at it than I originally thought, as the fry population seems to be much more reasonable since her arrival- a rather dubious situation.

Attachments

beckyd

Large Fish
Mar 16, 2009
Newman, they are gorgeous. A nicely matched pair. Glad your male got better.

The only kings I've ever seen are plakats. Have you seen some with other finnage?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
for some reason i am not that into CT...i used to have some back when i was young, and they kept dying on me. its just that their fins would hang down so much, and i remember mine looking so drab...long live Hurricane though. he was my most successful betta who died at 2yo. he coulda lived longer if i didnt find out about salt in freshwater tanks...x_x

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Kenny, Dragon is/was gorgeous!

I am so hoping this breeding works so I can have little mini-Als running around my tank! :p I have a new tank (a 15gal that I got for free from a friend), am picking up a heater tomorrow or Saturday (that I'm getting for FREE) and am trying to decide which of my other males to use as a "rival" for Al to "beat"...it's too bad Jasper died 'cuz he was probably the fiestiest of my boys. But, I think Edward (the veiltail in my profile pic) will work pretty well. :D Wish me luck!

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me. The lady I'm getting the heater from (for FREE!) has a whole bunch of other stuff she said I could go through and see what I wanted, so hopefully there's some useful stuffs in there. Oh, and I'm going to be a platy grandparent before I'm a betta grandparent. We got four sunset coral dwarf platies today and one of them is VERY pregnant. Now, I just have to figure out what sexes the others are. :p

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
as far as the betta breeding tank goes, remember to get all the stuff Doom's guide tells you to get. especially wrapping the tank cover/top with plastic wrap to keep humidity up.
Sexing platy is very easy if they are adults. females have fan shaped anal fin. males have pistol-shaped anal fin, the gonopodium.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Yep, I'm going to town tomorrow to pick up the heater and a hurricane lamp thing and whatever else is on the list that I don't have (which I think I have most of it lying around...oh, have to get sponge). Very excited for this new adventure!

I will have to look at their anal fins. I *think* there are three females and a male, but I'll double check to be sure. The tank they're spending the night in doesn't have a heater but I made sure to add warm water to the tank before putting them in there and it's holding steady at about 77 degrees. I also put a CFL lamp I have on there to help preserve water temp (used it on a couple of my smaller tanks and it worked well to keep the temp steady), plus I've got the heater in the house turned up (partially 'cuz my son has a cold and thinks it's freezing in here if it's not 80 degree :p). They should be fine in the 10gal until morning, right?

Apr 14, 2008
Kenny, Dragon is/was gorgeous!
Thanks! It is "was". :(

I ended up getting to caught up in work and when I remembered I had fish...I looked in his tank and he wasn't...normal... Something was off and he was very listless and was found dead the next day. It's been a few months. :(

I miss him a lot, but still do have a 2-3 year old - One-Eyed, Red/Black/Blue FM CT betta in my 29! Sadly...I do not have more room for males. My friend ended up dumping another veiltail betta in my uncycled 125gal [thinking he'd be ok and it was a MAJOR upgrade!] w/out asking and king Bichir[The story is long on why that tank is even running w/ fish right now! I'll just say it had something to do with a stupid me, gallon of paint, and a shattered 40gal Breeder] almost ate him! Hes in a bowl now [heated, aerated, with a few java ferns/moss] and the friend scolded!

I need to get rid of him. I can't take another betta right now, especially not a VT. He's very pretty...black and orange, real showy..but unless I want to buy another tank[I don't!]...he's outta here!