Shattered aquarium

Oct 15, 2010
How do you repair an aquarium which 1 side is completely shattered? This tank has 3 full sides(4 including the bottom), but the last is broken, and there are large pieces of the glass missing. Any help appreciated.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have repaired tanks with one pannel of glass severly cracked (no pieces missing) by cutting a piece of glass that will fit over the entire broken panel. I secured it in place with large amounts of silicone. Running a bead around the edges of all the cracks and a bead of silicone around the peremiter of the entire replacement section (silicone on both pieces of glass). Carefully press the new glass onto the broken side untill the silicone flattens and spreads. On the inside where the broken edges are exposed you may need to coat the edges with silicone or another layer of new glass on the inside to prevent leaks and future cutting of yourself or the fish. (note- If you can find a safe way to do it, you may want to try to smooth the sharp edges of the broken pieces before starting a repair.)(perhaps with a dremel tool and a grinding stone)(Bits of glass will fly around, so wear eye protection and heavy gloves.)I have a 20 long that is over 30 years old that I repaired this way. It is an ugly repair, but still holds water. I sometimes use it as a breeding tank or a holding tank.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; The trick will be getting the remaining pieces of broken glass removed without cracking the good panels. That was one reason I patched over cracked glass. I also did not need the tank as a display tank. Good luck.
The first tanks I owned had a metal frame. Some were painted angle iron and others were more expensive stainless steel. They had slate bottoms. The one I patched was a survivor whose iron frame had rusted away long ago.
One thing I have been doing with the all glass aquaria is covering the outside corners with plastic. If you can find them, they were used to place over the outside corner of household wall paper for protection. They are clear and can be glued to the outside corners with clear silicone.