sexing discus

Oct 22, 2002
here is a link i found to a possible discus sexing method.  tell me if it worked on any your proven pairs.  http://www.aquaworldnet.com/dbws/sexingdiscus.shtml.  peace

nick

R

ronrca

Aa, nick? Im getting a page not found. Does that mean it cant be done?  *twirlysmiley*  *crazysmiley* Actually, what helped me was I let me discus pair up and then when they are laying eggs, you can definitly sex your discus by who is laying the eggs and who is fertilizng them.

Dave C

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
members.shaw.ca
Not exactly true.  You can sex them by having the eggs hatch.  Simply having a fish lay eggs only determines the sex of the female.  The other fish may be a male, he may be fertilizing them or he may be a she just tagging along for the ride.

Dave

R

ronrca

Right Dave. I forgot about the rest. But you can also sex them while they are laying the eggs by watching their little whateveryoucallit where they lay eggs with.

Oct 22, 2002
sorry about the period must've hit it like at the end of sentence or something.  i just wanted to know if it worked cause thats the only real thing ive seen that made sense to sex them with.  let me know what u think.   peace

nick

Oct 22, 2002
Do discus change shape over time? 3 of my 5 discus don't fit into either of those suggested shapes. They are juveniles, and their dorsal and anal fins have a much deepr curve, without the flat area and whatnot. I can't even apply the line that points to the tail, because the arc of the fins does not flatten out - pure oval curve.

Oct 22, 2002
i guess so i dont really know havent been back to a fish store since i read that to compare them.  im just getting ready to set up a 55g for some tho so im checking the area for some good discus places.  anyone here from san antonio tx.  if u are tell me a fish store that sells healthy discus i havent found one yet peace.

nick

Oct 22, 2002
most of my fish stores r good about most fish but when they get discus they just dont look too good id already have some but i want some good ones and im not gonna waste my money.  peace

nick