Sexing Bettas ?

depthC

Superstar Fish
Feb 24, 2003
WI
I have one betta in my community tank that keeps to his/herself and i just wanna know if its a male or female. I hope its a female so i can go off and get 1 more female. So how do you sex bettas? Thanks

- depthC

Feb 2, 2003
North Dakota
Are you serious? I mean, not to be rude are anything but come on!
Okay Okay. If your betta has really long fins then its a male short standerd looking fins and its a female. You can keep mutilple femals in a communitee tank but male are mostly solitary. One in a communtie tank is okay as long as they aren't to aggresive. But having a male and female is very dangerous. Most male will not tolerate a female even in a larg tank, but it all depends on the personality of your betta. I had a male and female in a 30g communitee tank and they did fine but my male was very passive.

catfishmike

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sin City, again...
yea what the hell kind of question is that?now i play devils advocate.genraly sexing a betta is easy look for short fins ovipositor on the underside of the fish and less attractive color,but now days you can find bettas in such a variation of fin,color and fin length that it can be hard to tell.heck i had a female that was bigger than any male you will ever see.shame that fish died before i got a camera(oh wait i still don't have a camera)so don't feel to bad.there is almost no dumb question.oh yea the ovipositor is the white dot on the belly of a female betta. the dot will be more visible if she is gravid with eggs.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2003
You can't really tell by the fins only. Plakat bettas have short fins like females, and some splendens have shorter fins too. Also, I had a female that had long fins like a male. Generally, yes, you can tell by fins, but look at its belly, if there is a white dot on it, its a female. The white dot is an ovipositor (as mentioned).