Severum/jd tankmates

Jul 16, 2012
PA
I recently upgraded my car/said tank to 75 gallons. It has a 3" JD, 4" gold Severum and 3 Albino bristlenose plecos. I'd like to add a turquoise severum, but am afraid I'll be overstocked. Any suggestions?

Jan 14, 2007
San Jose
honestly...the best answer id give anybody...whatever fish you decide to put in this tank there is always going to be a tank...no one in here can give you a definite answer yes or no...Unfortunately with cichlids they decide whether or not they want to get along with the fish you put in the tank...And the other thing that sucks, is they might get along in the beginning but you have no idea what could happen when they all grow just a little bit more (maturity is a cruel thing).

So tread softly when deciding what fish to add...youre ideas aren't bad at all...the only thing to keep in mind though once you introduce the same species of fish you run into small issues

you could potentially introduce the same sex fish and they get aggressive and territorial (alpha male chest flaring), you get the opposite sex, they pair off and then they try to breed. this leads to territorial issues, aggressive breeding behaviors (nest guarding).

Check out some festivums, some of the smaller species of geophagus species are nice and pretty!

Jul 16, 2012
PA
The Oscars were a joke. By the way...just seeing if anyone was paying attention! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I like the Uaru (the harder-to-find) Panda species. My golden Severum and jd have been together since babies and get along great. I don't want to ruin that. Found a pink veil tail Oscar. 2" on-line, but would it over-stock me and be a danger to the bristlenose?

Jan 14, 2007
San Jose
well at about 75gal with a jack gold sev and 3 bristles probably...oscars are giant fish...like HUGE...like SUPER UGE...so id say stay away from him...maybe do a small school of roseline sharks, or bala sharks...a group of clown loaches are always nice..

Jul 16, 2012
PA
I thought clown loaches get huge! Bala sharks get pretty big too, right? Festivus seem kind of nice, and I like the Geophagus Brasillensis. Or would it be safer with a jewel and a couple Bozeman rainbows?