Setting Up Saltwater Aquarium

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
so i got the 10 gallon tank and i was wondering how o set it up correctly and what to put in it. sand, then water, then live rock, then corals, koralia, fish (after it cycles for about a week) etc. anything else i need?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Have you ever had a saltwater tank before? For saltwater beginners it is recommend that you start with a large tank (30+ gallons).
Having a larger tank makes it easier to regulate the water parameters. Also if something goes wrong it won't be as devastating to your investment.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
You can do a 10G SW tank. I have two of them. The do require daily maintenance. I must top them off twice a day with pure RO/DI water because the water evaporates but the salt does not and the salinity starts to rise so by topping off in the afternoon and early morning I keep a more even level that does not swing so much and cause stress to the fish and coral. All you need is a very good test KIT!!!! This way you know when to water change and how to maintain your tank. Just remember that it takes at lease a month before you can add fish or coral to a SW tank.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
A 10 gallon saltwater tank is possible like KcMopar said. Just be prepared for daily maintenance.
I would love to have a saltwater tank but unfortunately my budget and schedule don't allow for one.
Best of luck and I would love to see pictures when your tank is setup. :)

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
My 10G SW tanks are the hardest tanks I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They do not get to a point that I would call easy until you can get at least a 75G tank. I also have a 40G and 150G SW tanks as well. The 40G is my favorite but is still requiring daily attention. The 150G I can let go for 3-5 days at a time. Dont get me wrong I still love my 10G tanks but its a lot of work and money. To set-up a 10G SW tank properly you will need about $300.00-$350.00 minimum just to get it to start cycling and this is not counting fish or coral.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
My 10G SW tanks are the hardest tanks I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They do not get to a point that I would call easy until you can get at least a 75G tank. I also have a 40G and 150G SW tanks as well. The 40G is my favorite but is still requiring daily attention. The 150G I can let go for 3-5 days at a time. Dont get me wrong I still love my 10G tanks but its a lot of work and money. To set-up a 10G SW tank properly you will need about $300.00-$350.00 minimum just to get it to start cycling and this is not counting fish or coral.
That is exactly why I'm sticking to freshwater! Plus I just love my dwarf puffers too much. :)

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
You can do a 10G SW tank. I have two of them. The do require daily maintenance. I must top them off twice a day with pure RO/DI water because the water evaporates but the salt does not and the salinity starts to rise so by topping off in the afternoon and early morning I keep a more even level that does not swing so much and cause stress to the fish and coral. All you need is a very good test KIT!!!! This way you know when to water change and how to maintain your tank. Just remember that it takes at lease a month before you can add fish or coral to a SW tank.
So you put pure water in twice a day to replace the evaporated water. do you ever need to put the salt in any time soon? how long is it before you also have to add salt?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You don't ever need to add salt directly to the tank (I believe that is what you're asking), but you do need to mix new salt water for water changes. So it's not just an investment of 10g worth of salt - you will need to be able to mix new salt water for water changes every week or two (give or take, depending on the stocking level of the tank and which types of corals you want).

Also once you add the live rock and sand (and powerhead, heater, etc) to the tank, you will need to let the rock finish curing. Depending on where you get the rock, it will be at some level of "cured" - sitting and letting the microorganisms on the rock that have died decompose off the rock. If you get it locally and keep it wet the entire time, it will likely be mostly cured. If you get it shipped, regardless of whether it was already cured, it will have some die-off in transit and will need to be re-cured before adding fish / corals. You can do this with either a piece of raw shrimp decomposing in there, or the rock itself often creates enough ammonia for the cycle with just the junk on the rock that dies. Get yourself an ammonia and nitrate test kit (at least), and once the rock has been in there for a few weeks if the ammonia is at zero and the nitrates are slowly rising, you can start adding coral / fish (slowly).