Setting up a new beta community tank-suggestions?

Jul 7, 2011
Okay, I HAVE had a beta before (NEVER again will I get a fish without doing my research first. Less than a gallon "Beta" tank, two plants, a pillar thingy...he hated it) but, after having awhile withought fish, I want to get back to it.

IMAG0002 - Copy.jpg
Thats him

I am using a 10 gallon "Goldfish tank" (please...tooo small for goldfish) from petsmart, changed the filter to an adjustable flow Whisper 10, and added a heater.

It currently has
-A driftwood "planter" for one potted aquatic plant
-a rock with two cave/hole thingys (so descriptive, right?)
-a sunken pirate ship decoration with a hole/cave in it
-a sea turtle cave thingy (another decoration)
-varius sizes of fake plants
-Heater
-adjustable flow filter...still need to fiddle with the flow of it

I'll include some pictures of it

The tank with its correct lid, I need new lights for it

Top view

Turtle cave

You can kind of see the rock behind the pirate ship

And heres the pirate ship

The whole tank, I put the light from my old tank on it because it still worked :p

Since it was blurry, I labeled the overhead view
BETA7.jpg

Hopefully these all work! If not...I'll try something else

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I appears you enjoy the decorating and hope your betta does too. You will find that does take a bit of up keep, particularly if you get algae growing. I have noticed my bettas like beds and so I have some soft artificial plants floating near the top that they can rest on - you do know that they have a labyrinth organ through which they obtain oxygen from the air as they are unable to get enough through their gills? That is why they go to the top of the tank occasionally for a quick breath.

Jul 7, 2011
I appears you enjoy the decorating and hope your betta does too. You will find that does take a bit of up keep, particularly if you get algae growing. I have noticed my bettas like beds and so I have some soft artificial plants floating near the top that they can rest on - you do know that they have a labyrinth organ through which they obtain oxygen from the air as they are unable to get enough through their gills? That is why they go to the top of the tank occasionally for a quick breath.
Thanks! I do find decorating fun :D I plan on adding a few REAL plants into the tank, however I am going to DMA for a week and just wanted to get the tanks started cycling the water, so i cannot add the plants (or fish) quite yet.

I did know about the labryinth organ, that is why I chose to use this tank rather than the taller, slimmer one I have from my moms apartment, a long time ago. Not sure if I will put that one into use again, it still works great (eg. no leaks, very clean) but...it doesn't have a lot of surface area for gas exchange.

I forgot to mention, I have a synthetic leaf hammock from my old beta tank...it just fell, so I need to go reattatch it -.- I was worried about not bieng able to easily access the bottom of the tank by adding floating plants in it, may I get opinions on this?

Also, what are the best types of real plans (I've read about Java ferns/moss) and the types NOT to get?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I am not the authority here on plants - Orange Cones it one of them tho. One of the big problems is both Petsmart and Petco sell plants that are not truly aquatic and don't grow completely submerged. The one plant I am comfortable with is Anubias nana, It grows well as long as you don't bury the rhizome and doesn't need a lot of light. There are several strains of that plant. I would like to recommend a book "The Simple Guide Freshwater Aquariums" by David E. Boruchowitz. Its fun reading and you can get it at the library or a used copy at Amazon or probably any book store for less than $10. Very worthwhile.

Jul 7, 2011
Okay, just got home from petsmart.

-Bought a new filter, couldn't restrict the old ones filter. Nice little bubble filter, though it means more water changes
-Two kinds of water test strips
-two Java ferns
-one potted plant...can't read the tag but the salesman suggested it, so I think its good. Leafy little thing
-stick-on thermometer...it doesn't like me and won't show the temperature. Hopefully given a few hours that will change.
-Replacement light bulbs, the tank is very well lit now
-Tire rope toy
Errr, that was for the dog, don't mind me!

So, plants in, new filter installed, figured out how to change the light bulb (This is just begging for a "How many _____s does it take to change a light bulb" joke...)

Is that everything? (minus the fish)

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sounds good! You might want to throw us a pic of your potted plant . . . unfortunately, as Thyra mentioned, many stores may sell you something not truly aquatic. Hopefully it's okay tho' . . . .
How are you planning on cycling the tank?
Welcome to the forum . . . .
Laura

Jul 7, 2011
Sounds good! You might want to throw us a pic of your potted plant . . . unfortunately, as Thyra mentioned, many stores may sell you something not truly aquatic. Hopefully it's okay tho' . . . .
How are you planning on cycling the tank?
Welcome to the forum . . . .
Laura
Thanks Laura! I need to grab a picture, don't have one yet, got home late last night.

Cycling, like, water changes? I have (somewhere) a siphon and bucket I use to pull out about 25-50% of the water and to vaccum gravel etc. Is that what you meant?

While I'm at it, I'll grab a filter picture too.

And, any help here; my thermometer is just...black. Not reading temperature...

BETTAFILTER.jpg
The new filter
BETTAJAVA.jpg
BETTAUKPLANR.jpg
Plants! One is the Java fern, the other is the unknown one

OH I was excited to see Petsmart carrying Halfmoon betas while I was there last night, so I will most likely be getting either a male or a few females (probably male) of that variety with some community fish

Last edited:

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Cycling, like, water changes? I have (somewhere) a siphon and bucket I use to pull out about 25-50% of the water and to vaccum gravel etc. Is that what you meant?
Cycling is the process by which nitrifying bacteria gets established in your tank which will convert toxic ammonia from fish poop, uneaten food, decaying plants, etc. into less toxic nitrates. Here, read this: Tropical Fish - New Tank (aquarium) Syndrome and Cycling

You mentioned that you bought water test strips . . . . did you get one to test for ammonia? You'll want that. Liquid test kits are better than strips, but if strips are what you have, it's way better than not having anything at all!

Jul 7, 2011
OH okay, I will go read that now. I got both the ammonia test strips, and then the pH, nitrate, Nitrite, hardness, and carbonate. All I could find was the strips...so thats what I have.

The tank will be sitting for a week starting tommorow, hopefully that will give some of the bacteria to grow with the live plants I bought...

Feb 27, 2009
The tank will be sitting for a week starting tommorow, hopefully that will give some of the bacteria to grow with the live plants I bought...
The tank will not cycle without a source of ammonia for the beneficial bacteria to consume. You can do a fishless cycle (more humane) or a fish-in cyle (can be stressful to fish, and kill them if not handled properly).

Jul 7, 2011
Oops, I did it again

Don't mind the cheesy title

I really need to learn NOT to look at fish when I walk into petsmart...I now have a rather hyper black and teal halfmoon betta sitting next to my computer...the tank has been sitting with the plants etc. but...I have no clue how to do nor how long a fishless cycle takes...er, what do I do now?