Separate compartment for betta in community tank?

I want to put some sort of divider up in my 10 gallon fish tank for a betta. I don't want to risk putting the betta in with my danios. I keep the tank at 78 degrees and I also have 10 Amano shrimp and an apple snail. I don't want the traditional divider (they look ugly to me) I want something like a clear acrylic column with holes in it that I can place In the center on the tank. Ive also seen those little squares that people put in their tanks for their betta, but I want room for my betta to swim like the other fish in the tank do. Any suggestions?*twirlysmi

Oct 29, 2010
Your best bet for something so specific would be to make your own! It would be a fun project.

There are aquarium-safe types of silicone, and clear acrylic isn't expensive. Just make sure the betta has room to swim, and a place to hide!

Edit: Oh, and make sure he can reach the surface for air!

That's exactly what I was thinking, I want to put in a pretty flowery looking plant and have the top uncovered and a peaking out of the water for convient feeding and breathing :)

I will probably just have to hit up a craft store :p

And what do you think about making the holes big enough for my shrimp to get through but not my fish?

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Bettas are all different and some get along just fine in a community tank - some are scared to death to be in all the commotion of an active tank, but do remember, they can get caught in tiny places and I would be concerned about how tightly any divider fit in a tank. Fish don't back up very well and they tend to explore every nook and granny in their tank. I have a betta that swims just fine with a bunch of platies and 4 danios. I had another that I tried that with and after 24 hours he still wasn't moving around and so I moved him to his own tank.

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
Why not just get another tank if u really want a betta that much rather than limiting the danios to a smaller space.

Id just put him in. Isnt goin to catch them even if it wanted to. Prob wouldnt even bother with any1 else.

Maybe, I'm going to call my local fish store (great store, keeps all fish so healthy... You never see on dead one unlike petco, walmart, ect.) and ask if they sell the bettas they already have in community tanks. I just worry about my 2 giant danios, one of them chases all my fish and the shrimp... I just don't want the betta to hurt any of them and vise versa.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes.
Bettas and danios can be problematic together mostly because danios can be a bit nippy to other long-finned fish - they are also faster moving that the stately betta, and some bettas can feel stressed by all the action. But it can work. Just watch carefully and be prepared to rehome the betta right away at any signs of aggression or general distress. Do you have lots of plants or decor in your tank?

Oct 29, 2010
That's exactly what I was thinking, I want to put in a pretty flowery looking plant and have the top uncovered and a peaking out of the water for convient feeding and breathing :)

I will probably just have to hit up a craft store :p

And what do you think about making the holes big enough for my shrimp to get through but not my fish?
That actually sounds really nice! The fresh warm water will make the setup much healthier than the traditional betta bowl XD

How many inches do you think it'd be in diameter?

I would be a little worried about holes big enough for shrimp... wouldn't want to have your betta's head stuck! Perhaps thin slots near the bottom, if anything.