SEASONAL EATING HABITS OF PIRAHNA

Nov 13, 2005
I have 3 pirahna, each about 6-7 monts old and 5-6 inches in length. Until this week I kept them in my office at work. this week I brought them home. They had been eating about 100 goldfish a week. This week they haven't eaten 50 goldfish. Do they have seasonal eating habits, are they stressed by the move or should I be looking for something else?

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Most likely stress from the move. If i move furniture away from the tank or change their environment close to the tank my fish spaz and don't eat at all for awhile. The only other thing that may be affecting them is temp, try to keep it at 76.

Dec 25, 2005
Pacific NorthWest
scubadude said:
Most likely stress from the move....
....The only other thing that may be affecting them is temp,
try to keep it at 76.
I wouldnt keep it that low at all. Most of what I have read or experienced say piranhas want warmer water (above 80 degrees) & lowering the temp to 76 would only slow their metabolism causeing them to eat less.

It took almost 1 1/2 months after moving my guys to get them back to eating at all in public. Also you might try feeding the piranha some large floating pellets. Tetra makes a great one for "aggressive fish" that I put in at the same time with some flake food for the goldfish.

THIS WORKS PERFECT

because the flakes lure the goldfish out and the pellets get the piranha into a feeding frenzy, before you realize it they eating the unsuspecting/forgetful goldfish.

Good Luck

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
At 80 or above my fish become very aggressive.....The femal gets beat up and they start acting like they are going to spawn. I keep the temp at 76-78 for the females sake. Check out suprise spawning of RBP's for the whole story.

Jan 8, 2008
This piranha has been in the same place since we got it but it is next to the doorway and when my husband goes in and out i'm sure it makes him freak out. Should we move it to a location where there is less traffic?

Jan 17, 2008
This piranha has been in the same place since we got it but it is next to the doorway and when my husband goes in and out i'm sure it makes him freak out. Should we move it to a location where there is less traffic?
Wow, this is an old thread, but I'll help you out here. I'm guessing your P is a juvenile based on it's behavior. RBPs especially are known for being very skittish when they are young and will do exactly what you described. General after they are a few months old (around the 3" mark) they get better. I have a 2.5" red that up until recently would completely flip out when I came to the tank. I eliminated his hiding places temporarily to force him to see people more and he's gotten much better.

So to answer your question, I'd leave him in high traffic areas to get used to people.