Scared Discus!! PLEASE HELP!!

Gooose

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2007
Hi everyone, i would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me. I have a 55 gal tank with five discus that i purchased about two weeks ago, its the first time i ever had discus so i make sure to keep the water very clean and as suitable as i can for them. my ph is a little high(7.6) but i was told they can adapt. anyway, i have been feeding them frozen bloodworms and pellets and flakes constantly but no matter how many times i feed them(dont worry i dont overfeed them) they always get scared and literally go crazy, sometimes trying to jump out of the tank, whenever i go near the tank. they just dont seem to be adjusting well and its very upseting bc i read how discus are so friendly and they swim up to the tank etc.. Also only two of them eat on a consistent basis, the other three just hide and i hope they eat up the leftovers afterwards. So if anybody has any advice to help them adjust better, or maybe thats just normal for discus to take a long long time to adjust, any help will br greatly appreciated, thank you so much and a wonderful day, greta to be a part of this community now.

Gooose

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2007
Thanks

Oon of the five is not showing their color, the other four are bright color fish so i dont really see how they can hide it(bright red and blue and orange), and yes the have been acting this way for two weeks, i also want to mention that i am not the only one in my house, i have two sisters and my parents so its a lot of action sometimes, more then they were used to in some basement. thanks again

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
Any plants or driftwood or something in the tank?

Discus are natural skiddish, so tanks in high traffic areas of the house arn't the best. But give them a little more cover, possibly making the aquarium a little bit dimmer so they feel more secure.

Are they the only fish in the tank?

If they are eating and you are doing waterchanges, and they arn't black in color with fins clamped i'd say you're good. Just beef up the cover in the tank a little bit and see how that works out.

Gooose

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2007
thanks

thanks for help, they are the only fish in the tank and they do have cover in the tank, everything is set up pretty well for them, do yo have any other suggestions, thanks

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
How big are they - juvies I'm guessing. Small discus are used to being in shoals so separating 5 of them and keeping them in a traditional discus setup (not much cover, maybe bare bottom) is likely to make them freak out. I would consider adding quite a lot of driftwood so they can hide, and try to keep external traffic lower. Do you have a photo of your setup.
One dropping colour is not good as they tend to be very hierarchical and beat up on the least domininant fish in the group. I often think the trad advice to get at least 5 really means it's better to get 8, or to get them bigger, 3,4 inches plus when they are steadier and less troublesome. But it sounds like you've done nothing really wrong.

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
One thing that can help is that of you get a single large discus this can steady up the group - something like a cheap 'used' brown or turquoise 5 or 6 inches across - a local breeer or big lfs with customer returns might have something liek that

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
dont get any more discus youll be fine.
discus are like any new pet...discluding the hyper ones who like people, and they have to get used to thier owner. it took mine a month to actually eat when i was there. sit in front of the tank, make slow movements around them. soon theyll be able to reconize you and know you feed them.
i dont think your doing anything wrong, the fish are just still new and a bit spooked. give them time, be pateint.

feed them bloodworms, they like those.