Sand or Gravel? or both?

Jwoody

Medium Fish
May 14, 2010
Hello again,
I was setting up a freshwater plant tank, and just wanted to get some opinions on what type of substrate I should use for the plants, right now I have a bag of aquarium sand, and a bag of gravel, which one would work the best as far as getting nutrients to the plants, if any at all? I kinda had my mind on mixin the two...

and as far as whats going to be in the tank
1 angelfish
2 zebra danio's
1 fantail goldfish
a few ramshorn snails
and alot of plants

oh yeah and its a 20 gallon high

Thanks!

Last edited:

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
The best thing for plants is gravel so that 'mulm' can get in between the rocks and get to the roots. I've had plants grow fine just in sand, but currently I have a tank full of sand with pots full or rocks for my two roots plants to grow in. This works great, but it isn't feasible if you have TONS of plants. You could mix them, but unless you want this looks I wouldn't do it because it won't benefit your plants anymore than straight sand would.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I have used both and tend to like gravel for a planted tank. I also have found that the depth of the gravel can make a difference. I like to have three or more inches of gravel if possible. I have built levels into tanks where the gravel was around five inches deep and found roots all the way when breaking down the tanks years later.

If you do mix them it will be a pain to separate them out again.

Jwoody

Medium Fish
May 14, 2010
Awesome! thanks,
where do yall get gravel from, i was thinking about gettin a big bag of fine gravel from like home depot or someting and rinsing it off really well, because the gravel at the stores where i live is like 15 buck for a bag

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; I bought 3/4 ton of sand from a local place last summer to bed some drain pipes for less that $20. I read in another post today that 50 pound bags of sand can be had at Lowes for under $5.

Bulk sand can have grains in a variety of sizes. I like to sift it thru a homemade screen or colander or the like. I discard the very fine material as it will stay suspended for a long time in a tank and may compact too much. I like particles around bb size to just a bit larger.

I would like to find a source for the black quartz gravel. The last that I bought was sometime back in the 1970's. I need some more to have enough to do a 55 gallon set up in pure black. It does not wear out and can be cleaned and can be used over and over. I cleaned a batch of mixed color gravel last summer that is over 30 years old. It is now in a 55 gallon. Even if a source is found, I guess it is somewhat expensive.

Oct 29, 2010
I just wanted to put in a little note here - goldfish are coldwater fish and shouldn't be kept with tropicals like angelfish and danios, which need temperatures in the high seventies.

20 gallons is just big enough for a single goldfish (they're big ammonia producers, and your fish will eventually outgrow even that, reaching up to 6 inches), and even disregarding temperature you'll probably be overstocked with the addition of another large fish like an angel.

Sorry to jump in without addressing your actual question, but your tank will be nicer, easier and healthier with a little rearrangement :)

"aqadvisor.com" is a great source for info on what fish will fit happily in a tank. Best of luck!

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Unless you're getting some sort of pH buffer (and probably even then, I just don't know since I've never looked into it), just buy your substrate at the hardware store for a freshwater tank. If you know what you're looking for you can always find it cheaper than you can if you go out and buy "aquarium gravel."

Lone Wolff

Medium Fish
Feb 4, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Unless you're getting some sort of pH buffer (and probably even then, I just don't know since I've never looked into it), just buy your substrate at the hardware store for a freshwater tank. If you know what you're looking for you can always find it cheaper than you can if you go out and buy "aquarium gravel."
+1.

Home Depot #40 gad of pea gravel for $2 5 or 6 years ago. Just rinse it out good before you use it.