Sand, Aragonite mixes 101

Oct 22, 2002
I figure the sooner I get sand/live rock and lights running the better, because I hear the tank needs to be up and running for 4-6 months before adding corals, right? (which is my end goal!)

So!!!  I'm looking to purchase some sand for a 15g reef that I'm about to start up. I'm not looking to buy "live" sand, I figure when I add the live rock it'll make the sand come to life anyway.

I'm 100% new to this and unsure what grain of sand to get? I see variances from .5mm->4mm

What are the benefits of each? I prefer the look of the smallest sand but would like to know the pro's/con's before I make a purchase.

I don't know where everyone here buys this aragonite sand...so I went to petwarehouse.com and the only one that caught my eye was Aragamax, because of its good description (amen for marketing right!?)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=7321

This would be for a 15gal.

Oct 22, 2002
If you are new at this I might want to point out to you before you start your live sand that most successful reef aquariums don't have sand, in fact no substrate at all. It has its benifits. It will be a lot easier picking up detritus and makes cleaning easier. If you are wanting to go the live sand route I recomend reef sand, such as argonite. Also purchas this book "The Marine Aquarium, A Step by Step Guide" Great book and good luck!
Drady

Oct 22, 2002
what exactly is detritus I think I'm confused.
I just went to the dictionary and it says: "Loose fragments or grains that have been worn away from rock. "
Why would I want to clean that up?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You want the smallest size grain, almost as fine as sugar. 0.25mm if you can.
Detritus should not be siphon in a deep sand bed because if you have worms/snails/brittle stars/and copepods, they do the job of cleaning up the sand.
I beg to differ because most successful reefs I have seen so far included sand.  With a deep sand bed, it will require less maintenance than if it was empty and you require siphoning.

The DSB itself does a great biological filtration, moreso than live rock because of increase surface area that sand possess.

If you live in the east coast, you can get aragonite for $4 per 50 lbs at you local Home Depot.  It is advertised as southdown playsand.

Oct 22, 2002
Right I agree live sand has it advantages, I was merly only offering choices. I personally would recondemind live sand. I would rather buy live sand from a local fish store that is already establised, but if u have time and money cure your own. You could also cure your own rock as well but that takes a little more time and effort. Good Luck
Drady

Oct 22, 2002
I went to home depot to look for this sand. I saw a bag that said play sand, it was a clear bag with a lot of orange and green colors on it, i don't really remember it all that well. but I didn''t see "southdown" or aragonite on it at all so I didn't get it:(

WonderBoy

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Best bet for a great reef tank on a budget and with lots of time.

1) Get South Down Sand from Home Depot
2) Get 1 Bag of Live Sand from LFS
3) Get as much uncured LR from LFS that you can buy

The uncured LR is much cheeper about $2 - $2.50 lb were as cured or "preimum" live rock can run as much as $10 lbs.

Put in the SouthDown Sand to about 3 1/2" and then add the live sand once you water is to the correct temp and SG. Deep sand helps filter out NI and NA.

Put in all your LR and turn on powerheads, skimmers, filters and lights.  Let all that sit for 4 to 6 weeks.  Once you Am, and Ni read 0 your tank is cured.  Do a 10% - 15% water change every week. Water changes add back nutrients back to the water that get used up by your LR and inverts.

Yes wait for several months before adding corals.  Your tank is a small echo system and needs time to stable out.  Dont add fish all at once.  Use a Q tand and add a fish every 3 to 4 weeks.

A few other pointers to think about.

1) When your Ni starts to come down and Na starts to go up add your clean up crew before you algae gets out of control.

2) Use RO/DI water for the start!!!  You can get it at any store for less than $1 a gal and it will make life so much better.  If you plan on adding corals it's a must.

3) Get a Q tank setup.  Add all new fish to it for 3 - 4 weeks before adding them to your main tank.  Sound silly but a year or two down the road when you have $600 - $1000 of live stock and one $20 fish starts a break out you will wish you did.

4) Do water changes every week or ever other week.  Dont add a bunch of chemicals to your system.  The only thing you should ever have to add to your system other than water and fish food is food for any filter feeders like clams.

Oct 22, 2002
dude, thanks for the photo! that is definatly not what I saw! I'm a regular at home depot, and always walk near the sand and have never seen a bag like that.
Guess I'll just have to fork over the 20-30$ for some aragamax

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What state do you live in?  And how many bags are you going to get?
You can get the same stuff at
www.purearagonite.com
Remember shipping is the killer.  If you buy 4 bags, get 1 bag free.

$11.95 for a 40 lb bag.

Oct 22, 2002
well I just put in an order for the www.purearagonite.com

and your right:) shipping is a killer!
Came to 23$ and I live about 50 miles from their base. I'm just to lazy to drive 100 miles roundtrip to save 12$
Anyway thanks for the help everyone!