saltwater eclipse tank

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
anyone know if i can run an eclipse hood for a saltwater? do i need to change out any media? i heard the bio-wheel isn't that great for a saltwater tank because of excessive nitrate.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
Considering the systems I use at work are MaRS bio-wheels, I can't see why you couldn't use an eclipse hood in a saltwater aquarium ;). Of course, a bio-wheel already covered with freshwater culture ain't going to do the job, you'll have to find some way of culturing it to carry marine bacteria. The best way to do that would allow it to soak and age in an already established marine tank. Purchasing the "bacteria in a bottle" made for saltwater aquariums can work too, but that stuff does have a shelf-life, so freshness and quality is iffy. Or, you could just let it culture with patient, normal cycling methods.

You are also correct on the nitrate issue, but you're gonna have nitrates in any tank no matter what filtration unit you use.  That's why more frequent, small volume water changes are better than all-at-one-time large volume changes are. The volume of water you intend to keep depends upon how often and how much you'd want to water change, but a minimum of once a week is a pretty good start. The systems I have at work are constantly having nitrate problems, but I've never had an ammonia or nitrite problem yet!

Those hoods are hard to fit other equipment with, such as protien skimmers, UV, UGFs, or to even run a sump system with, which may also add to the harumphing of nitrates, and the distain of marine keepers who like thingies to fuss with. And you can't rig a good light system in them if you intend to keep corals and other inverts. But for a fish-only tank system that may have one showcase speciman and be -very well-maintained, the hood should suffice. How large a volume do those hoods go up too? And how large a volume are you thinking of anyway?  I think the largest I've seen a hood for is 25 gallons. That's a very, very small volume of water for a marine system, so you're not looking to do very much with it. If you want a fancy type of community in a small volume of water, I would suggest sticking to conventional filtration methods, and buying a very large Sandman filter.

As soon as I can scrape up the money, I'm buying myself another System Six and I'm going to keep a pair of baby maroon clowns in it. I love baby maroon clowns, they're soo cute! Of course, I'll have to trade them in when they get too big, but they're just an irresistable fish. Everytime we get them in the store, I keep telling myself I'll convert my current system six over, but it's never on paycheck week!
~~Colesea