safe fish for oscars

LMC

Small Fish
May 11, 2006
indiana
had a dumb question....
in my 55 gallon tank would it be safe to put my sons shovlenose catfish til he got a bigger tank or not???

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Actually depending on what kind of shovel nose it is, you should probably take it back to the LFS. Some can reach over 3 feet in length. If memory serves the regular one still gets close to 2.

But to answer your question no it would not be safe. Again the Oscars are going to grow at a much faster rate than the shovel nose. Shovel noses tend to be pretty slender until they are of "tank buster fish" size, and a adult sized Oscar would not have any problems eating a 6-7 inch shovel nose.

Healthy Oscars in appropriate sized tanks will grow about 1 inch a month.

LMC

Small Fish
May 11, 2006
indiana
LFS???
well that did answer my question....
my son is going to his friends over the summer and wanted me to watch his catfish and i dont think i want to move his whole tank....
so i will just go there to feed it...

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Well if it is just for the summer it may be ok. Kinda depends on how large it is now, and how big your Oscars are?

Wow he has a 200 gal, n you are getting a 300...you people donna play around huh..LOL

LMC

Small Fish
May 11, 2006
indiana
Pure said:
Well if it is just for the summer it may be ok. Kinda depends on how large it is now, and how big your Oscars are?

Wow he has a 200 gal, n you are getting a 300...you people donna play around huh..LOL
his cat is i think a year old.. i aint seen it since last summer so i dont know how big it is now.. but he did get ALOT bigger tank. he started his out in the 55 gal i got now.

my oscars are quite young.. my largest is double the size you see in like walmart stores.... maybe i should get pics???
i never measured a fish before so this may be intresting...lol*twirlysmi