Yeah, that's pretty much what I'll be doing if I make the opening in the jets bigger. Hardly any water is coming out of them, so I thought I needed a bigger powerhead, but I guess there's other problems. It's always nice to find out you don't need to buy something else though lol.
Turns out my jets were clogged with some sort of plant matter, and even though I had a lot of issues cleaning them out just now, it's all good again. No need for a bigger powerhead, and and no more jet of water.
Well, it was cheap (technically free), but not very easy. This is the first time I've ever had to get my girlfriend to stick her hands in the tank and help me with something. I know how to clean the jets and not unbury the tube next time though, so that's a plus.
I realized I hadn't put up really any updates in a while, and its the middle of the night, I'm awake, and I thought I might add one now since I plan on rearranging some stuff in my tank tomorrow or the next day.
This is kind of an odd shot of my tank in the dark with a flashlight shining down into it, but feels pretty Raiders of the Lost Ark this way. Maybe that's just because its 2 am here. Looking back at the last pictures I posted I can see how much my java moss has grown, so I'll be trimming that up this weekend along with that long sprig of anacharis growing up the middle. I'll also be draining a few inches of water out of the tank for the entire weekend so I can finally glue the final tile into place on the slate wall (which really looks unfinished in the picture I just posted).
Since the last time I've added my new Rena XP2 to the tank and it's currently being cycled by my Bio-Wheel. I think I'll give it another three weeks or so just to be save and then remove the old filter. I've also removed my powerhead and underground jet system, and I'm currently looking at another DIY to diffuse CO2 until this summer when I plan to build an inline reactor.
I had some complications at the LFS trying to get ahold of a pair of German Blue Rams, but if all goes well I'll have two of those by the end of next week and my tank will be all set.
My next big project will be constructing the stand I'm finalizing plans for now, as well as constructing the inline reactor. I'm thinking I might add some sort of plant booster to my substrate when my tank makes the move across the room since the tank will have to be broken down, but I'm still researching that.
I also seem to have my snail problem under control now that I'm back feeding my fish instead of using a timed rotary feeder while I'm away.
I thought about that, especially after I took the picture where the light is reflected, but there's no way to get the heater inside the skull since its so long, and I couldn't put it behind it and it still shine through. My small heater might fit in there though.
I dropped the water a few inches earlier today and just got done gluing in the missing half tiles, so that should look pretty nice in the morning when the silicone is dry.
I realized today I haven't updated this thread in a while, so I thought I'd give everyone some news on the tank.
Here's the tank on its new stand with the QT/fry tank underneath.
Here's a quick trickle filter I put together today that will be powered by my spraybar after I move in June. I still need to get some bioballs and sponges and whatnot, but I still have a few months to get all that.
Since my last post I've gone through a lot aquarium wise, starting with a diagnosis of TB, ending with me completely tearing down every part of my tank and starting over.
I've decided to go the Tanganyika route, and here's my current setup.
I've got six n. brevis and a rubbernose pleco right now, and I think I'm gonna keep it at there for a while. I'll try and get some mechanical pictures of my new stand all all of my overly complex plumbing later today.