Ryanoh's 40 Gallon with Pictures!

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010

Ta da!

Here's some close ups of some stuff.

Kit Fisto, Jedi master for those of you who don't know.

Here's my floating plant, which I was told is Water Sprite, but after Googling I doubt if, so if anyone wanted to ID it for me, here it is. That's also my java moss ball, and the java moss I have rubberbanded to my log, which isn't growing...

My DIY hood and brand new filter. I thought since I had threads about both pictures of them would be good to have.

And lastly for now, here's my DIY CO2 apparatus that I need to get some new yeast for and get it working.

But yeah, here's pictures finally. Hope you guys are impressed.
Oh, and about the first picture, there's a few modifications I made to that table that I'm pretty proud of if anyone's interested in seeing pictures of those. I would have done them now but my camera died.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
its cool. sorry i cant see the floating plant in detail enough to ID it.
replace that yeast when it stops working. co2 fluctuations can result in some of the worst algae outbreaks i have seen. BBA anyone?

I like that you're tackling a larger size tank rather than the common 10 gallons :)
how old is this tank, in terms of running with fish? around a year or more?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I just changed out the CO2 today, so it should be working. I guess the yeast is probably dead.

This tank itself I set up around the start of June, but all the parts out of it were from my 55 gallon I downsized from, which I would have had up for about a year now if I hadn't moved and had to changed to a 40 gallon.

We had tanks growing up from everything to chiclids to swordtails to even a salt water tank for about a year, but this one is the first one I've done totally on my own, and its been a lot of fun and a bit of a challenge. I even designed the background, but you can't see it very well in these pictures.

It's all images from Mike Mignola's Hellboy and BPRD, and I think some stuff from Conan and Dylan Dog as well if anyone's a fan of Darkhorse Comics.

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
wow i just noticed you have LEDs lighting this tank. very nice background! i didnt notice it because of the glare of the LEDs (i think thats whats clouding it). Did you draw that or did you do that on a computer and then print that out?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for the ID on the plant.

As for the background, its all cropped and photoshopped images that comic artist Mike Mignola drew, I just collaged them together into one underwater scene. The image I posted was for the dimensions of my 55 gallon, so to fit my 40 gallon I had to trim off some of the top, some of the bottom, and a lot off the right.

I realize my water looks pretty cloudy, and I was attributing it to sand. Is it really from the LEDs? It seems like I've never had water this cloudy so I cut back on feeding but nothing really changed. I have Melafix in my water right now so I was maybe attributing some of it to that too. Any pointers on how to clean it up?

HEADIN

Large Fish
Aug 9, 2010
R the led lights any gd? Can any1 recommend a link to good led lights? Theres hundreds of led light strips on ebay and that but ive no idea wats any gd.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I'm not sure about the LED lights. I have a thread about mine here but it didn't really go anywhere. I'm not sure about others, but this particular one only offers information on lumens, not watts, so its hard for me to find out what plants I can get. The plants I have listed in my signature do fine though, so I assume its atleast a decent grow light. As far as how it looks I really like it and don't have any complaints.

Love it! My son wants that human skull decoration for the 29gal (it's in his room and has three other skull decorations in it, including the same triceratops skull you have).
My betta pretty much lives in the skull, which I think makes the skull way more interesting.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Right, its a 16 watt light, but in the other thread someone said that Lumen output was actually more important to plant growth than actual watts were. Should I just buy low-light plants to be safe? The plants I have all are for low to moderate lighting, and besides getting java moss to stick to things, I haven't had any problems with things growing.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
thats what i meant lol. or you can do something like I did: get only one medium plant of java and raise it good enough so that it drops babies continuously, and soon youll be swimming in java ferns! :)

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
So after a fish disaster I'm pretty much starting this tank over. I have all my fish currently housed in my hospital tank and all the water drained out of my 40 gallon.

You can see here the underground jet system I built that's going to hook up to my powerhead and help circulate all the junk into my filter better and maybe keep my sand a bit cleaner in between water vacuums.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010

This is my progress on my foam and cement rock background. All the cutouts are for my equipment to hide behind and fit through, and I'll post another picture when I carve the front out.