round moss plant

tbear

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2011
I have a round moss plant and when I bought it I was told it would divide into two. I noticed that it is no longer a round ball but it is kinda caved in on top. I called the pet smart where I bought it and at first they told me they don't divide and then I was told if I wanted it to divide I would have to do it by hand. Then they told me yes it would divide on its own. I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this plant. Do they divide on their own and if so how long does it take and how can u tell when they are dividing. Also do goldfish eat the plant? Thank u so much.

Feb 27, 2009
I've never kept goldfish so cannot comment on if they would eat this.

Contrary to its name, the Chladophora aegagropila(also commonly called a Marimo Moss Ball) is not moss, but an algae.

This link shows how to create new ones. Japanese moss balls, Cladophora aegagropila, with pictures

I've seen references on several websites that say they will divide, but I've never seen it happen personally. I've had them as small as 2" in diameter, and grow to 6" or more. The larger ones, I split and 'rolled' them up again into smaller ones.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
If I remember correctly, these balls aren't necessarily moss. I believe I was told that they're a form of algae. If you want moss that's fast growing and spreads throughout the tank, get java moss. I've never had these moss balls cuz they never looked appealing to me. How much light is it getting??

tbear

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2011
Thank u so much. I have learned alot from the site that was mentioned. My tank is near a window so I think it is getting plenty of light. I have another question I am wanting to get a algae eater but am told I don't need one because of this plant. Then again I am told the complete opposite. What do u think and recommend? Also if I am able to get a algae eater. What do u recommend. I am also thinking snails but I hear they multiply really fast and I don't want that. I hear that plecostomus eat the plants so they are recommended to get, right. Again thanks.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
It depends on what sized tank that you have and how much algae. I hope that you are able to keep a stable temperature since the tank is by a window. I have 4 Otocinclus affinis in my 10g but I switch them throughout my tanks to clean the algae, so they're always fat and happy. :p

For algae eaters, you can buy a few Otos (make sure that you have PLENTY of food though, they will get rid of all the algae within a week), an Apple Snail (need a male and female to reproduce), or a Siamese Algae Eater (SAE, NOT a CHINESE Algae Eater- they're mean and get huge and territorial). SAE only get about 6" so they need to be kept in a 15g+.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have definitely not found that otos get rid of all the algae in any amount of time. I rather doubt you will find anything that will do that. Also what size tank to you have?

tbear

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2011
I have a 29 gal tank. A friend of mine had two goldfish and no longer wanted them. She wanted to flush them. I did not want them to get killed so I took them. The temp is usually between 72 - 76. Do I have room for the plant. I took it because she did not want it either. Do I have room for the algae eater

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
The snails will be fine with the Goldfish. I put my 4 Otos in my 10g and they wiped out all of the algae in a week. I put them in another tank and learned how to grow algae on my Terra Cotta pots. Very helpful since they love hanging around on those things. Since you have Goldfish (what type are they??) you'll probably have to stick with snails. My Apple Snails love to eat not only the left over food that the goldies couldn't catch on the way down, but they also like to maintain my algae.

tbear

Small Fish
Sep 21, 2011
I want to thank everyone for their replies. I have a common goldfish and a fantail goldfish. I will probably wait a little bit on the snails. I am not to big of a fan of snails. I have heard to many horror stories about them. As far as my plant. I will also wait and see what it does on its own. Thanks again