rosemary driftwood

Jul 25, 2003
San Diego, Ca
Visit site
one of our potted rosemary herb died months ago. I was searching for a driftwood at the beach(its about 7 feet away from my backdoor, actually) and i didnt find any. Then i saw the dead brush about 3 feet tall, and saw many twisted branch, and thought this might be a perfect driftwood! I hauled it inside and started cutting it. Its soaking right now, but i dunno if rosemary herb is toxic for fish or not as it has a really strong frgarance, and im afraid it its oils might be toxic.

Anyways, thanx for your help.

valdok

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Chicago, Illinois
val.textdrive.com
Hmm... my guess would be it's probably not going to kill your fish... it might leak into your tank and your tank would smell like rosemary (and that's not a bad thing!) but i would really make sure you soak it for a long time, and get most of the oils off by scrubbing and using hot water to extract oil. i'd soak it for at least a month (assuming it takes less than a month to sink it) and change the water every day to remove as much oil as possible, and then replace the lost water with really hot tap water. i dunno if this will work... but it's worth a shot.

prhelp

Large Fish
Apr 26, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
Visit site
Personally, I'd forget rosemary wood. I'm a cook, and the oil content is way too high -- it will leach forever, and the oils will contaminate your filter, and replacing your filter and media will have obvious consequences.

With so many driftwood options available, I'd have to say that it's NOT worth a shot.

Jul 25, 2003
San Diego, Ca
Visit site
prhelp, will the oil kill the fish tho? I have a planted tank, so the filter is actually on the least effecient to prevent surface agitation.

Also, i do 20 % water change everday or two days...I really like this driftwood and its been dead for 6 months at least, and dry.

But im gonna test it on my flying fox...(sold to me as an algae eater...arrgghh). im gonna keep him there for a week, and see what happens..