Risk of using external cannister filters?

Sep 11, 2016
Hey guys, I'm still a relative novice with taking care of my turtles and I have a question regarding a filter I recently bought. I bought the Eheim Classic 600 external cannister filter 2217 for my 50 gallon tank (1 adult RES in it).

My main concern is after setting up the filter I am now extremely paranoid of having an accidental flooding incident. I live in an apartment building (10th floor, hardwood flooring) and I have had floods before (unrelated to fish tanks, just plumbing accidents).

Is there anyway I can reduce this fear? Any additional equipment I could buy to reduce the risk of flooding? Are my fears valid or are floods with filters quite rare? I'm just very afraid to use this filter.

Sep 11, 2016
Unless you screwed up with the filter installation you should have an issue with flooding. I havn't heard of anyone having flooding issues before.
Hey, thanks for the response! Any suggests as to how I can best avoid flooding or reduce the likelihood of flooding via modifications such as using duct tape on the tubes to hold them onto the filter?