RIP winky

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
idk what happened or why he died..i just did a water change yesterday and cleaned my tank really good...im really heartbroken right now cause i feel like im killing my puffers :( :( :(

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
its not my first fish really...weve got 5 tanks lol. Im gonna wait a while before i think about getting anymore. Ill be crushed if something happens to Gia. I was quite attatched to winky. He got some eye fungus thing(hence the name winky) and i fixed that and then he died :(

MOsborne05

Superstar Fish
Oct 3, 2005
Gibsonburg, OH
Have you treated them for internal parasites? Most puffers are wild-caught, and most of them come in with ip's. Alot of times they die before you know that they have ip's, so you might want to treat Gia just in case. Did they have sunken bellies alot of the time?

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
Have you treated them for internal parasites? Most puffers are wild-caught, and most of them come in with ip's. Alot of times they die before you know that they have ip's, so you might want to treat Gia just in case. Did they have sunken bellies alot of the time?
Not at all MO very round(not out of the normal round) very white bellies. Winky was fine when i went to bed and ate like a piggie that day. Im just wondering if something happened while i was cleaning and doing a water change that day

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
the only thing i can think of is water change. Are you mixing the salt throughly? Do you test to make sure the salt is within acceptable range? Is the salt level changing too much?

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
the only thing i can think of is water change. Are you mixing the salt throughly? Do you test to make sure the salt is within acceptable range? Is the salt level changing too much?
thats a lot of questions lol....yes i test the salt level immediately after i do a water change...if its too much i fix immediately. Ive gotten to the point though that i know just the right amout of salt to mix in that my salinity is the same everytime i do a water change. and yes im mixing the salt throughly. puffers are such sensitive fish. I was talking to my LFS guy the other day about it and he told me it sounds like i did nothing wrong and that my puffers who died prolly had something wrong with them before i got them. Gia is a beast and still going strong..i think she even grew some cause shes not looking much like a baby anymore

noob23

Large Fish
Dec 17, 2007
SoCal
Thats pretty weird, sounds like your doing everything right. There diet seems very healthy too. Maybe the stress from the mini cycle caught up on them? What about that old krill that you gave them that you got from your neighbor? Maybe that had something on it...

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
Thats pretty weird, sounds like your doing everything right. There diet seems very healthy too. Maybe the stress from the mini cycle caught up on them? What about that old krill that you gave them that you got from your neighbor? Maybe that had something on it...
they wouldnt even touch that stuff so thats why i went out and bought frozen food. Bashful got the fungus so i know that is what killed him..i think winky just died for no reason..you know fish are notrious to be healthy happy and fine one day and dead the next