RIP Walt :( Pleco help?

Dec 14, 2010
Sunny California
Disease forum would probably be seen more, but as my pleco already passed I thought this was more fitting. I had a small common pleco (bought him at Petsmart, that was what they were labled as) and put him in my 27g hex with my three angelfish. Shortly after, my angelfish became sick with finrot. I treated the tank with aquarium salt and melafix. I know now that this was what I did wrong. My question is, what hurt my pleco? Was it either or both of the remedies I used. Wondering for future reference, thank you guys!

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
You didn't say the amount of salt, but I'm going to guess that is it. Because catfish, like your pleco, don't have scales they're sensitive to salt, and you need to add a tolerable amount of salt for them when you're doing a salt treatment. Sorry about your pleco. :( They're one of my favorite types of fish.

How is your finrot doing? Water changes are often the best way to combat finrot rather than adding medicines or salt.

Feb 27, 2009
Plecos produce a lot of waste and a common pleco is much too large for a 27gallon aquarium. Finrot often develops as a result of poor water quality.

What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Dec 14, 2010
Sunny California
The fin rot is gone and my angels are doing so much better. I love them too! But alas, my first rookie mistake. Angels are my first tropical fish. I grew up with guppies and giant plecos (my grandma had a few we had to donate to the lfs when they topped 7 and 8 inches). I didnt factor in the plecos with the salt and melafix. Not until afterwards :(