Revised! Extensive African Dwarf Frog Article/FAQ

Sep 16, 2006
i've got a huge adf, and tried to introduce two smaller ones to the tank and he ate them. my daughter loves him so! he's in the same tanks as tiger barbs(4), pink terror(2), and an oscar! so far so good. his body is about as big as my thumb.

Sep 16, 2006
singing?

so i think my clawed frog is no dwarf. how big is it going to get? i've never heard him/her sing before. what can i do to get it to sing.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2008
Help!

I have a AFD and I just lost my other one yesterday night(Sobb:( It had a red spot of pealing flesh that was on his but I had noticed It was a bit on his lag that after noon befor he died now my other one has it and I don't wan't to loose him too do you know what this is and how I can stop it?

kayliwolf76

Medium Fish
Mar 3, 2009
I have found that after i caught my frog in the corner of my tank and gently lifted the lid and floated down some small pieces of earthworm that he comes back to this corner every couple of days now after repeating this process several times. I use a turkey baster now and frozen bloodworms. Thawed of course. I learned the hard way that these guys do not eat flake food unless very hungry. Also they are blind and use smell to find food that is why you should always put the food around them. Also I have read about people having sucess with a tadpole and frog food from the pet store. I have a very fat and happy frog that i have had for 6 months now.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
anyone?

Great thread... I love these adf s.

There is some great info here about care and food requirements. So much so that it has given me the confidence to even consider setting up a new home for them.

I have a 5 gal not in use. I can cycle it quickly off the 55 once that is cycled.

But......how many do you think would be ideal for a 5g? 2? 3?

...or do you think 5g would be too small? I read that they have the bio-load requirements of a (something tetra) which I've never cared for tetras so idk.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

5G Tank Seems Fine for 3 ADF +Friendlies

Thanks for the great info...

We are newbie ADF fans...7 months with 3 frogs (Pearl, Mr. Original & Hyme) which are living a great life in our little 5G tank with small school of friendly Neons, and two Otos (Felix & Felix) with live plants, small gravel, big rocks and a log.

We do 3/4 tank H2O change every two weeks (house plants love it) and feed small amount of flakes and one thawed cube of bloodworms e/o day....tank looks great and frogs & fish seem quite happy.

Last edited:

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I know this isn't recommended in the original guidelines post, but is it possible to keep one, two, or maybe even 3 AFDs in a 55 gallon non-aggressive tank? I read somewhere else that the only problem might be the food not sinking to the bottom, but to try and use a turkey baster to drop it directly to the bottom for them.

Also, any clash between them and a pleco, either him eating them or them bothering him?

Sep 9, 2011
I need help. my much larger ADF seems to be starving my little guy. Do I separate? Pete seems uninterested in his tadpole bites,reptomin, or bloodworms. He was actually floating upside down and Arlo is fine + fat. what do I do?